Aug 23, 2014, 9:32 AM EDT
The Tigers turned to infielder Andrew Romine to pitch in a blowout last night.
Jun 14, 2014, 9:24 PM EDT
In eight games, Eugenio Suarez is hitting .400/.500/1.000.
Jun 4, 2014, 10:34 AM EDT
This was expected, but it’s still bad news.
Apr 20, 2014, 12:14 PM EDT
The Tigers acquired Alex Gonzalez from the Orioles in late March after losing Jose Iglesias for the year and the veteran shortstop smacked a walkoff RBI single for Detroit on Opening Day. But he managed just three hits in 28 plate appearances after that and was officially released from the 25-man roster on Sunday.
Mar 22, 2014, 5:07 PM EDT
When it was announced that defensive whiz Jose Iglesias would miss most (or all) of the season with stress fractures in both of his legs, the Tigers said they were content with considering internal replacements at shortstop. That search apparently included the coaching staff, as Tigers manager Brad Ausmus acknowledged to Jayson Stark of ESPN.com…
Mar 21, 2014, 4:06 PM EDT
Shockingly, mere hours after the Tigers trade for a shortstop, “a person familiar with Drew’s thinking” tells the Detroit Free Press that Stephen Drew could be had by the Tigers on a one-year deal. He’d sure as heck be better than Andrew Romine and the cast of in-house options the Tigers have for short. And…
Mar 21, 2014, 2:34 PM EDT
The Detroit Tigers have announced they’ve acquired SS Andrew Romine from the Angels in exchange for lefty Jose Alvarez. Romine, 28, will likely take over shortstop for the Tigers in the absence of Jose Iglesias, or at least attempt to. Maybe a platoon is the best option for the lefty. He’s primarily been a utility guy.…
Sep 15, 2013, 10:25 AM EDT
It was a meaningless game played in front of a less-than-half-capacity crowd at Minute Maid Park, so you probably missed this exceptional diving catch Saturday from Angels infielder Andrew Romine: That looked easier than it was. Romine went 1-for-2 with a walk at the plate and the Angels won 6-2. Follow @drewsilv
Feb 8, 2012, 6:10 PM EDT
Over the next couple of weeks, I’ll be projecting 25-man rosters for each of the 30 teams. I’m starting today with the Angels. The winter’s biggest spenders, the Angels are now again poised to threaten a Rangers team that appeared to be in pretty good position to set up its own little mini-dynasty in the…
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 1
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 0
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 5
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 54
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 12
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)