Jun 24, 2014, 12:48 PM EDT
Jerry Sands would have been in line for extended action in the Rays’ outfield following David DeJesus’ fractured hand, but now Sands is headed to the disabled list with a strained wrist tendon.
Jun 19, 2014, 3:45 PM EDT
David DeJesus has been one of the Rays’ few productive hitters this season, but now the veteran outfielder will be out of the lineup for a while with a fractured right hand suffered Wednesday on a check swing.
May 24, 2014, 10:05 PM EDT
The Red Sox haven’t been enjoying the last week and a half of baseball.
Apr 19, 2014, 11:01 AM EDT
Cesar Cabral was ejected after hitting three batters Friday against the Rays. And then his night got worse.
Sep 17, 2013, 11:27 PM EDT
As first reported by Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times, the Rays have officially promoted shortstop prospect Tim Beckham from Triple-A Durham. To clear a spot on the 40-man roster, injured outfielder Brandon Guyer was put on the 60-day disabled list. Beckham, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2008 MLB Amateur Draft, could…
Jan 18, 2013, 7:53 PM EDT
The Rays have spent some money this winter, adding Yunel Escobar for shortstop, James Loney for first base and Roberto Hernandez to the pitching staff. Their rotation is fine even with James Shields gone and the infield might be set, if Ben Zobrist plays second base, but the team still has some needs as is.…
Jun 19, 2012, 4:18 PM EDT
The Rays just announced that Jeremy Hellickson was placed on the disabled list with right shoulder fatigue. Chris Archer will be called up from Triple-A Durham to make his major league debut tomorrow night against the Nationals. Hellickson was knocked around for a career-high eight runs on nine hits (including three home runs) last Thursday…
May 25, 2012, 6:53 PM EDT
It just hasn’t been Brandon Guyer‘s year. He’s still facing a $5 million lawsuit because a drunk Matt Bush was driving his vehicle at the time he nearly killed a guy, and now he’s going to require shoulder surgery and miss the rest of the season. Guyer, a 26-year-old outfielder, had been in the majors…
Mar 18, 2012, 8:10 PM EDT
It’s not every day a team sends down two former No. 1 draft picks. Reliever Matt Bush, the first overall selection in the 2004 draft, and shortstop Tim Beckham, the first pick in 2008, were both demoted as part of the Rays’ roster cuts on Sunday. Both moves were expected. The more surprising demotion was…
Jan 27, 2012, 6:20 PM EDT
Counting on Carlos Pena, Matt Joyce and Luke Scott to fill key roles this year, the Rays had set themselves up to have huge problems against lefties in the bottom half of the order. That was alleviated somewhat today with the signing of Jeff Keppinger. Of course, Keppinger doesn’t play the same position as any…
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 14
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 75
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)