Jul 23, 2014, 10:47 AM EDT
Oakland’s move to acquire Johnson and his $10 million salary from Baltimore never made a ton of sense this offseason and it’s worked out much worse than expected, as he almost immediately lost the closer gig and has a 6.25 ERA with 23 walks in 40 innings.
Jun 4, 2014, 3:45 PM EDT
It would’ve been an unexpected early trade of a guy of Johnson’s stature.
Jun 1, 2014, 10:25 PM EDT
The Pirates added some bullpen depth on Sunday evening by picking up Wirfin Obispo off of waivers from the Braves.
Jun 1, 2014, 1:49 PM EDT
From Juan C. Rodriguez of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel comes word that the Marlins have acquired right-handed reliever Bryan Morris from the Pirates in exchange for their competitive balance pick in the 2014 MLB Amateur Draft, which gets underway this Thursday evening.
Mar 30, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT
Travis Sawchik of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review wrote an intriguing column about the rise in fastball velocity across Major League Baseball. In 2008, the average fastball in the Majors registered at 90.9 MPH; in 2013, it was 92 MPH. A change of 1.1 MPH over a six-year period may seem small, but when hundreds of thousands of fastballs…
Sep 21, 2013, 10:45 PM EDT
Pirates starter A.J. Burnett, who earlier today told the media he is still considering retiring after the 2013 season, turned in a gem against the division and Wild Card rival Reds. The Reds went ahead early on a Ryan Ludwick RBI single in the first inning and a Zack Cozart solo home run in the…
Jul 25, 2013, 4:51 PM EDT
After the Nationals coughed up a 7-3 lead in the top of the ninth Thursday against the Pirates, Bryce Harper hit a two-run homer in the bottom of the inning, giving Washington a 9-7 win. Harper’s homer came off Bryan Morris with two outs in the ninth. He had gone 12 straight games without an…
Jul 7, 2013, 7:55 PM EDT
Shocking, I know. Pirates manager Clint Hurdle decided against using closer Jason Grilli, one of the best relievers in baseball, as his team battled the Cubs in an 11-inning affair this afternoon. Trailing 3-2 in the ninth, Pirates outfielder Starling Marte tied the game with a solo home run. Hurdle went to Vin Mazzaro in…
Jun 5, 2013, 1:43 PM EDT
Wandy Rodriguez threw just 14 pitches and recorded just one out in today’s start against the Braves before exiting the game with what the Pirates are calling tightness in his left forearm. Rodriguez has pitched very well since coming to the Pirates last year in a midseason trade, posting a 3.60 ERA and 96/36 K/BB…
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (235)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)