Aug 27, 2014, 10:47 AM EST
Right-hander Bryan Morris has been ridiculously good for the Marlins since they acquired him from the Pirates for a draft pick in June, posting a 0.48 ERA in 38 innings. But now he’s hurt.
Jul 23, 2014, 10:47 AM EST
Oakland’s move to acquire Johnson and his $10 million salary from Baltimore never made a ton of sense this offseason and it’s worked out much worse than expected, as he almost immediately lost the closer gig and has a 6.25 ERA with 23 walks in 40 innings.
Jun 4, 2014, 3:45 PM EST
It would’ve been an unexpected early trade of a guy of Johnson’s stature.
Jun 1, 2014, 10:25 PM EST
The Pirates added some bullpen depth on Sunday evening by picking up Wirfin Obispo off of waivers from the Braves.
Jun 1, 2014, 1:49 PM EST
From Juan C. Rodriguez of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel comes word that the Marlins have acquired right-handed reliever Bryan Morris from the Pirates in exchange for their competitive balance pick in the 2014 MLB Amateur Draft, which gets underway this Thursday evening.
Mar 30, 2014, 8:15 PM EST
Travis Sawchik of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review wrote an intriguing column about the rise in fastball velocity across Major League Baseball. In 2008, the average fastball in the Majors registered at 90.9 MPH; in 2013, it was 92 MPH. A change of 1.1 MPH over a six-year period may seem small, but when hundreds of thousands of fastballs…
Sep 21, 2013, 10:45 PM EST
Pirates starter A.J. Burnett, who earlier today told the media he is still considering retiring after the 2013 season, turned in a gem against the division and Wild Card rival Reds. The Reds went ahead early on a Ryan Ludwick RBI single in the first inning and a Zack Cozart solo home run in the…
Jul 25, 2013, 4:51 PM EST
After the Nationals coughed up a 7-3 lead in the top of the ninth Thursday against the Pirates, Bryce Harper hit a two-run homer in the bottom of the inning, giving Washington a 9-7 win. Harper’s homer came off Bryan Morris with two outs in the ninth. He had gone 12 straight games without an…
Jul 7, 2013, 7:55 PM EST
Shocking, I know. Pirates manager Clint Hurdle decided against using closer Jason Grilli, one of the best relievers in baseball, as his team battled the Cubs in an 11-inning affair this afternoon. Trailing 3-2 in the ninth, Pirates outfielder Starling Marte tied the game with a solo home run. Hurdle went to Vin Mazzaro in…
Jun 5, 2013, 1:43 PM EST
Wandy Rodriguez threw just 14 pitches and recorded just one out in today’s start against the Braves before exiting the game with what the Pirates are calling tightness in his left forearm. Rodriguez has pitched very well since coming to the Pirates last year in a midseason trade, posting a 3.60 ERA and 96/36 K/BB…
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 61
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 47
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 35
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 52
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Rosenthal proposal: make relievers face more than one batter per appearance (74)