Jul 23, 2014, 1:48 PM EST
Kelly Johnson isn’t as needed in the Yankees’ lineup following the trade for Chase Headley and now he won’t be available at all for a while, as the utility man has been placed on the disabled list with a strained groin.
Jul 23, 2014, 11:51 AM EST
After back-to-back terrible seasons Jeff Francoeur’s chances of returning to the majors looked so bleak that last month he decided to take up pitching at Triple-A for the Padres’ affiliate, but now San Diego is actually calling him up and presumably he’ll mostly serve as an outfielder.
Jul 23, 2014, 8:55 AM EST
Off the plane a half hour before game time, the hero by midnight.
Jul 23, 2014, 7:17 AM EST
Jonathan Lucory hit two homers last night, including the walkoff.
Jul 22, 2014, 1:22 PM EST
Two seasons ago Headley smacked 31 homers, led the league in RBIs, and finished fifth in the MVP balloting, but his production plummeted last season and this year he’s been mostly injured and ineffective.
Jul 19, 2014, 1:17 PM EST
The Padres swapped All-Star closer Huston Street to the Angels last night in a six-player trade and they likely aren’t done making deals.
Jul 19, 2014, 12:29 AM EST
Breaking down the six-player Angels-Padres trade.
Jul 16, 2014, 11:03 AM EST
What contenders are just a pretenders? Who needs to make a big trade? Who actually WILL make a big trade? Come on in for all of your second half preview needs.
Jul 11, 2014, 6:55 AM EST
The scoreless streak is over for Clayton Kershaw, but the dominance remains.
Jul 11, 2014, 12:02 AM EST
Kershaw’s streak is the third longest since 1990.
Jul 8, 2014, 6:56 AM EST
There were fireworks in the 11th inning in Washington last night, but there were also five shutouts around the bigs as the new era of the pitcher continues.
Jul 4, 2014, 7:25 PM EST
The Blue Jays have been scouting some expensive, mediocre talent lately, reports ESPN’s Jim Bowden.
Jun 27, 2014, 3:15 PM EST
Chase Headley is an impending free agent and the Padres in 34-45, so it makes sense that they’re shopping him and Jeff Sanders of the San Diego Union Tribune reports that the Blue Jays are interested in the 30-year-old third baseman.
Jun 25, 2014, 6:24 PM EST
For the second time in two years, Tim Lincecum no-hits the San Diego Padres.
Jun 21, 2014, 9:37 AM EST
Padres general manager Josh Byrnes could pay the price for the team’s disappointing start to the season.
Jun 20, 2014, 9:30 PM EST
The Padres are without two of their sluggers for Friday night’s contest against the Dodgers.
May 14, 2014, 7:04 AM EST
1-0 leads heading into the ninth were not safe last night.
May 10, 2014, 8:40 PM EST
The Padres got third baseman Chase Headley back after he dealt with a strained right calf.
Apr 27, 2014, 4:37 PM EST
Melvin Roman, the Puerto Rico-based agent for Korean third baseman Jeong Choi, told Jon Heyman of CBS Sports on Sunday that his client is seriously considering leaving the KBO’s SK Wyverns after the 2014 season. “He has a strong desire to come and play in the major leagues,” Roman said.
Apr 25, 2014, 4:46 PM EST
Chase Headley seemed to know it was bad as soon as he exited yesterday’s game with a calf injury and sure enough the Padres have placed the third baseman on the disabled list.
Apr 25, 2014, 6:51 AM EST
The Yankees bounce back. The Astros play like bush leaguers.
Apr 24, 2014, 10:02 PM EST
Chase Headley’s walk year is off to a tough start.
Apr 23, 2014, 6:35 AM EST
Pitching porn in Atlanta. Graphic, hard core pitching porn.
Mar 30, 2014, 5:15 PM EST
Here are the starting lineups for MLB’s “Opening Night” game Sunday between the Dodgers and Padres at San Diego’s Petco Park. First pitch is scheduled for just after 8:05 p.m. ET on ESPN. Los Angeles Dodgers LF Carl Crawford RF Yasiel Puig SS Hanley Ramirez 1B Adrian Gonzalez CF Andre Ethier 3B Juan Uribe C…
Mar 27, 2014, 6:00 PM EST
Between now and Opening Day, HardballTalk will take a look at each of baseball’s 30 teams, asking the key questions, the not-so-key questions, and generally breaking down their chances for the 2014 season. Next up: The San Diego Padres The Big Question: Can the Padres stay healthy enough to surprise? The last two years with…
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 100
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 62
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 42
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)