Aug 26, 2014, 8:01 PM EST
Watch as Cubs first baseman Anthony Rizzo reaches 30 home runs for the first time in his young career with this moonshot to the right-center field seats at Cincinnati’s Great American Ball Park …
Aug 26, 2014, 7:17 PM EST
Cubs shortstop Starlin Castro flew home to the Dominican Republic last Wednesday following the death of his cousin and three close friends in a car wreck. He is back in the Cubs’ lineup Tuesday, having been activated from the bereavement list.
Aug 25, 2014, 11:38 PM EST
Another big piece of the Cubs’ future is on the way to the majors.
Aug 25, 2014, 5:00 AM EST
The Yankees are, in my view anyway, unlikely to make the playoffs. Yet they refuse, Rasputin-like, to die.
Aug 23, 2014, 7:50 PM EST
Bob Nightengale reports that the Braves and Cubs nearly swapped beleaguered, expensive players in B.J. Upton and Edwin Jackson, but it never materialized.
Aug 23, 2014, 2:15 PM EST
Jacob Turner will start on Wednesday, taking over Edwin Jackson’s spot in the Cubs’ starting rotation.
Aug 22, 2014, 5:28 PM EST
His latest, a solo shot off Orioles right-hander Kevin Gausman.
Aug 21, 2014, 11:50 AM EST
After signing a four-year, $52 million contract with the Cubs last offseason Edwin Jackson struggled last season and has now been a mess this year, giving him a combined 14-32 record and 5.47 ERA in 57 starts for Chicago.
Aug 20, 2014, 9:59 PM EST
Cubs shortstop Starlin Castro was a late scratch from Wednesday night’s game against the Giants because what was called a family emergency. Now the heartbreaking details are out …
Aug 19, 2014, 1:03 PM EST
Before being shut down Cashner had a 2.36 ERA in 12 starts.
Aug 19, 2014, 6:42 AM EST
The Nats win the close ones. They win the not-so-close ones. They win the tame ones. And last night, they won a wild one.
Aug 18, 2014, 5:30 AM EST
An ump show in Detroit couldn’t stop the Mariners’ momentum.
Aug 16, 2014, 10:15 AM EST
When the Cubs acquired top prospect shortstop Addison Russell from the Athletics in the Jeff Samardzija/Jason Hammel deal, many assumed that it likely signified the beginning of the end for Starlin Castro in Chicago. But Castro hopes to stick around.
Aug 15, 2014, 2:58 PM EST
Joe Posnanski ranks all 30 MLB ballparks. Spoiler alert: Wrigley Field is No. 1.
Aug 15, 2014, 2:46 PM EST
There are so many great ballparks in baseball right now, but Wrigley more than any of them – more even than Fenway Park, I think, though that’s a great debate – is the one that clings hardest to the past.
Aug 13, 2014, 7:16 AM EST
In the future, every pitcher will toss seven shutout innings for fifteen minutes — Andy Warhol.
Aug 11, 2014, 10:37 PM EST
Don’t worry, I’m hearing that Ruben Amaro, Jr. is already trying to get in touch with his agent.
Aug 10, 2014, 12:01 PM EST
Dodgers shortstop Hanley Ramirez suffered a strained right oblique on Friday night and was officially placed on the 15-day disabled list Sunday morning.
Aug 8, 2014, 3:54 PM EST
The Cubs’ young slugger makes his home debut
Aug 7, 2014, 11:41 PM EST
The Cubs have reportedly claimed Cole Hamels off revocable waivers from the Phillies, but it’s unlikely that the two sides work out a trade.
Aug 6, 2014, 3:14 PM EST
Last season around this time the Cubs decided not to trade Nate Schierholtz in the middle of a career-year.
Aug 6, 2014, 1:15 PM EST
Yes, Theo Epstein sees the light at the end of the tunnel, but that doesn’t mean the prospects are getting an E-Z Pass to the big leagues.
Aug 4, 2014, 2:00 PM EST
The future is finally here.
Aug 4, 2014, 5:00 AM EST
The Tribe walks off against Texas, MadBum was dominant and V-Mart goes yard again. Note: if you were not a baseball fan, you would have no idea what any of the stuff in the previous sentence meant. It’s just barely English, yet we all get it. Cool, huh?
Aug 3, 2014, 4:20 PM EST
The Braves were crunched for roster space, so they designated Jordan Schafer for assignment on Friday. The Twins decided to put a claim in on him.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)