May 31, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
Ruben Tejada shocked the baseball world by homering on Saturday against the Phillies.
May 31, 2014, 1:05 PM EDT
There has been plenty of frustration on the fans’ side of things in regard to the delays with the Wrigley Field renovations, but the players are also unhappy.
May 28, 2014, 1:55 PM EDT
It should be obvious now which medieval helmet Michael Morse and Hunter Pence should order for Tim Hudson.
May 28, 2014, 11:03 AM EDT
It’s not a horse race, but whatever.
May 27, 2014, 7:11 AM EDT
After a rough start to his big league career, George Springer has sprung.
May 26, 2014, 7:20 PM EDT
Cubs right-hander Jeff Samardzija pitched in a ton of tough luck over his first 10 starts this season, but he finally got into the win column today as part of an 8-4 victory over the Giants.
May 26, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
A lot of NL pitchers are having great years. Wainwright may be the best of them all.
May 25, 2014, 11:54 AM EDT
Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe reports that the American League East-leading Blue Jays are among the teams with interest in trading for Cubs right-hander Jeff Samardzija.
May 23, 2014, 6:23 AM EDT
Boston has lost seven straight. Mark Buehrle has eight wins.
May 22, 2014, 6:55 AM EDT
Well, that’s something you don’t see every day.
May 21, 2014, 11:45 AM EDT
They don’t boo nobodies.
May 21, 2014, 6:54 AM EDT
On HBT Daily yesterday I said Johnny Cueto would give up more than two runs in a game before Masahiro Tanaka got his first loss. Both happened yesterday, but I’m pretty sure the Nats got their third run off Cueto before the Yankees-Cubs game ended, so I’m gonna claim victory.
May 20, 2014, 12:16 PM EDT
The urban legend had Theo Epstein destroying a hotel room after he found out Jose Contreras decided on the New York Yankees.
May 19, 2014, 5:07 AM EDT
Two homers for Alex Gordon, a triple play for the Rockies and another shellacking of a hapless opponent by the Oakland Athletics.
May 16, 2014, 1:13 PM EDT
How much longer will Jeff Samardzija and Jason Hammel be in Chicago?
May 14, 2014, 7:04 AM EDT
1-0 leads heading into the ninth were not safe last night.
May 13, 2014, 5:49 AM EDT
The Cubs give Travis Wood more run support in this game than Jeff Samardzija has had in his eight starts combined this year.
May 10, 2014, 12:30 AM EDT
Dan Uggla was not in Friday’s lineup and is slashing an ugly .184/.241/.272 on the season. Manager Fredi Gonzalez plans to discuss Uggla’s role on the team soon.
May 9, 2014, 11:40 PM EDT
Yu Darvish once again fell one out shy of a no-hitter on Friday night. He doesn’t need one to prove he’s one of the very best pitchers in baseball.
May 9, 2014, 6:31 AM EDT
Getting Shemped: That moment when you decide to stay up late and watch the Dodgers and found out you got stuck with a Josh Beckett start.
May 8, 2014, 10:49 AM EDT
Cubs right-hander Jeff Samardzija threw a career-high 126 pitches in Monday night’s loss to the White Sox and the next day reporters asked him and manager Rick Renteria about the wisdom of letting him have such a big workload early in the season.
May 7, 2014, 7:18 PM EDT
Cubs reliever Pedro Strop was removed from an appearance Tuesday night against the White Sox with discomfort in his groin and an MRI taken on Wednesday revealed a moderate left groin strain. Strop has been placed on the 15-day disabled list and could miss as much as four weeks.
May 6, 2014, 6:40 AM EDT
Four shutouts headlined Monday night’s action
May 2, 2014, 4:47 PM EDT
Matt Garza made headlines last week for advising Cubs right-hander Jeff Samardzija to follow in his footsteps and “pitch your way out of there” to leave Chicago.
May 1, 2014, 6:53 AM EDT
In today’s ATH we offer a few quick history lessons too. For example, did you know that “And That Happened” used to be called “Hark, this Occurred” back when it was a print feature? True story.
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 24
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 52
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 28
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 46
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 60
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing 99
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (185)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (126)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)