Sep 3, 2014, 7:15 PM EST
Victor Martinez continued his fantastic season with a great August showing, while Josh Harrison allowed the Pirates to weather the loss of reigning NL MVP Andrew McCutchen.
Sep 3, 2014, 4:51 PM EST
Cubs shortstop Starlin Castro has been diagnosed with a high-ankle sprain, which carries an expected recovery timetable of at least our weeks. In other words: His season is over.
Sep 2, 2014, 5:09 PM EST
If it weren’t for expanded rosters for September, he’d probably be on the DL.
Jorge Soler is third player in last 100 years with an extra-base hit in each of his first five games
Sep 1, 2014, 9:11 PM EST
Enos Slaughter (1933) and Will Middlebrooks (2012) are the only others.
Sep 1, 2014, 3:15 PM EST
It sounds like Manny is a changed man
Aug 31, 2014, 6:05 PM EST
Kolten Wong hit his head on the ground pursuing a ball hit by Chris Valaika in the eighth inning of Sunday’s game against the Cubs. He was helped off the field, and he’ll undergo testing after the game.
Aug 28, 2014, 6:55 AM EST
Every fifth day I wake up in the morning and see another impressive Clayton Kershaw pitching line.
Aug 27, 2014, 8:05 PM EST
Watch as Cubs top outfield prospect Jorge Soler goes deep to left-center field in his first major league at-bat Wednesday evening at Great American Ball Park in Cincinnati …
Aug 27, 2014, 7:09 AM EST
I don’t believe in destiny. I don’t believe in fate. I’m even pretty skeptical about momentum and the hot hand. But these Royals are testing my beliefs.
Aug 26, 2014, 8:01 PM EST
Watch as Cubs first baseman Anthony Rizzo reaches 30 home runs for the first time in his young career with this moonshot to the right-center field seats at Cincinnati’s Great American Ball Park …
Aug 26, 2014, 7:17 PM EST
Cubs shortstop Starlin Castro flew home to the Dominican Republic last Wednesday following the death of his cousin and three close friends in a car wreck. He is back in the Cubs’ lineup Tuesday, having been activated from the bereavement list.
Aug 25, 2014, 11:38 PM EST
Another big piece of the Cubs’ future is on the way to the majors.
Aug 25, 2014, 5:00 AM EST
The Yankees are, in my view anyway, unlikely to make the playoffs. Yet they refuse, Rasputin-like, to die.
Aug 23, 2014, 7:50 PM EST
Bob Nightengale reports that the Braves and Cubs nearly swapped beleaguered, expensive players in B.J. Upton and Edwin Jackson, but it never materialized.
Aug 23, 2014, 2:15 PM EST
Jacob Turner will start on Wednesday, taking over Edwin Jackson’s spot in the Cubs’ starting rotation.
Aug 22, 2014, 5:28 PM EST
His latest, a solo shot off Orioles right-hander Kevin Gausman.
Aug 21, 2014, 11:50 AM EST
After signing a four-year, $52 million contract with the Cubs last offseason Edwin Jackson struggled last season and has now been a mess this year, giving him a combined 14-32 record and 5.47 ERA in 57 starts for Chicago.
Aug 20, 2014, 9:59 PM EST
Cubs shortstop Starlin Castro was a late scratch from Wednesday night’s game against the Giants because what was called a family emergency. Now the heartbreaking details are out …
Aug 19, 2014, 1:03 PM EST
Before being shut down Cashner had a 2.36 ERA in 12 starts.
Aug 19, 2014, 6:42 AM EST
The Nats win the close ones. They win the not-so-close ones. They win the tame ones. And last night, they won a wild one.
Aug 18, 2014, 5:30 AM EST
An ump show in Detroit couldn’t stop the Mariners’ momentum.
Aug 16, 2014, 10:15 AM EST
When the Cubs acquired top prospect shortstop Addison Russell from the Athletics in the Jeff Samardzija/Jason Hammel deal, many assumed that it likely signified the beginning of the end for Starlin Castro in Chicago. But Castro hopes to stick around.
Aug 15, 2014, 2:58 PM EST
Joe Posnanski ranks all 30 MLB ballparks. Spoiler alert: Wrigley Field is No. 1.
Aug 15, 2014, 2:46 PM EST
There are so many great ballparks in baseball right now, but Wrigley more than any of them – more even than Fenway Park, I think, though that’s a great debate – is the one that clings hardest to the past.
Aug 13, 2014, 7:16 AM EST
In the future, every pitcher will toss seven shutout innings for fifteen minutes — Andy Warhol.
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 0
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 289
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (289)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)