May 1, 2014, 6:53 AM EST
In today’s ATH we offer a few quick history lessons too. For example, did you know that “And That Happened” used to be called “Hark, this Occurred” back when it was a print feature? True story.
Apr 28, 2014, 6:38 AM EST
Lots of shutouts and a handful of two-homer games. And one game that looked Xeroxed from another.
Apr 27, 2014, 1:34 PM EST
Jeff Samardzija boasts a lights-out 1.53 ERA in five starts this season, but he has yet to pick up a win. A former Cubs starter has some advice for the arbitration-eligible 29-year-old right-hander.
Apr 25, 2014, 1:21 PM EST
Kevin Gregg was unable to find a taker this offseason and remains unsigned, but 35-year-old right-hander has not retired and in fact told Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun Times that he’s “ready to go” and “just waiting for an opportunity.”Unsigned reliever Kevin Gregg isn’t a big fan of sabermetrics and wants another chance with the Cubs.
Apr 24, 2014, 11:45 AM EST
Cubs outfielder Justin Ruggiano has been placed on the disabled list after injuring his hamstring trying to chase down a fly ball in yesterday’s loss to the Diamondbacks.
Apr 24, 2014, 7:14 AM EST
Michael. Hey, Michael. You got a little, um . . . no, the other side. Yeah, good. You got it.
Apr 23, 2014, 6:35 AM EST
Pitching porn in Atlanta. Graphic, hard core pitching porn.
Apr 22, 2014, 6:56 AM EST
Baseball’s two brightest young stars pass like ships in the night.
Apr 18, 2014, 11:20 PM EST
Jeff Samardzija unselfishly wants to get paid. It’s not as crazy as it sounds.
Apr 14, 2014, 5:00 AM EST
The other owners will have to ratify the move at their next meeting, but as of yesterday it’s all but official: the Braves now own the Nationals.
Apr 13, 2014, 10:29 PM EST
A former World Series winner has opted for retirement.
Apr 12, 2014, 3:10 PM EST
Jose Veras struggled again last night and will get a break from the closer role.
Apr 11, 2014, 11:51 PM EST
Madison Bumgarner’s third career home run was a big one.
Apr 11, 2014, 11:10 PM EST
The Cubs finally ended their embarrassing stretch of zeroes behind Jeff Samardzija.
Apr 11, 2014, 10:30 PM EST
Jake Arrieta is close to a return to the Cubs’ rotation.
Apr 11, 2014, 6:15 AM EST
If a pitcher has a foreign substance on his hand and no one is there to complain about it, does it still raise a stink?
Apr 10, 2014, 7:06 AM EST
I saw Captain America last night. It was way better than the first few innings of the Tigers-Dodgers game.
Apr 9, 2014, 10:15 AM EST
It took a while, but last night we got our first manager ejection of the season when Cubs skipper Rick Renteria was tossed by umpire Jeff Nelson for arguing about a 1-2 pitch that was called a ball.
Apr 9, 2014, 6:18 AM EST
A ton of guys had multi-homer games yesterday. Ryan Braun led the pack with his three. I’m sure that won’t bother anyone.
Apr 7, 2014, 11:51 AM EST
In the wake of Will Middlebrooks’ calf injury the Red Sox have signed Ryan Roberts to help fill in at third base, according to Alex Speier of WEEI.com.
Apr 7, 2014, 6:02 AM EST
Matt Kemp and Hanley Ramirez each went yard twice. And I contemplate the return of the game-winning RBI stat.
Apr 6, 2014, 3:43 PM EST
Darnell McDonald announced his retirement from professional baseball in a unique way on Saturday night, using Instagram — or rather Flipagram — to produce a pictorial of his career highlights …
Apr 5, 2014, 7:10 PM EST
The Rangers’ top prospect begins his long road back to a clean bill of health.
Apr 4, 2014, 6:08 AM EST
Discover the one weird trick Coco Crisp used to hit a walkoff home run in last night’s Mariners-A’s game. The answer may shock you!
Apr 3, 2014, 1:07 PM EST
The Cubs and Pirates played a very late game last night. It was bound to lead to some sloppiness today.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 161
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (161)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)