Apr 27, 2014, 1:34 PM EST
Jeff Samardzija boasts a lights-out 1.53 ERA in five starts this season, but he has yet to pick up a win. A former Cubs starter has some advice for the arbitration-eligible 29-year-old right-hander.
Apr 25, 2014, 1:21 PM EST
Kevin Gregg was unable to find a taker this offseason and remains unsigned, but 35-year-old right-hander has not retired and in fact told Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun Times that he’s “ready to go” and “just waiting for an opportunity.”Unsigned reliever Kevin Gregg isn’t a big fan of sabermetrics and wants another chance with the Cubs.
Apr 24, 2014, 11:45 AM EST
Cubs outfielder Justin Ruggiano has been placed on the disabled list after injuring his hamstring trying to chase down a fly ball in yesterday’s loss to the Diamondbacks.
Apr 24, 2014, 7:14 AM EST
Michael. Hey, Michael. You got a little, um . . . no, the other side. Yeah, good. You got it.
Apr 23, 2014, 6:35 AM EST
Pitching porn in Atlanta. Graphic, hard core pitching porn.
Apr 22, 2014, 6:56 AM EST
Baseball’s two brightest young stars pass like ships in the night.
Apr 18, 2014, 11:20 PM EST
Jeff Samardzija unselfishly wants to get paid. It’s not as crazy as it sounds.
Apr 14, 2014, 5:00 AM EST
The other owners will have to ratify the move at their next meeting, but as of yesterday it’s all but official: the Braves now own the Nationals.
Apr 13, 2014, 10:29 PM EST
A former World Series winner has opted for retirement.
Apr 12, 2014, 3:10 PM EST
Jose Veras struggled again last night and will get a break from the closer role.
Apr 11, 2014, 11:51 PM EST
Madison Bumgarner’s third career home run was a big one.
Apr 11, 2014, 11:10 PM EST
The Cubs finally ended their embarrassing stretch of zeroes behind Jeff Samardzija.
Apr 11, 2014, 10:30 PM EST
Jake Arrieta is close to a return to the Cubs’ rotation.
Apr 11, 2014, 6:15 AM EST
If a pitcher has a foreign substance on his hand and no one is there to complain about it, does it still raise a stink?
Apr 10, 2014, 7:06 AM EST
I saw Captain America last night. It was way better than the first few innings of the Tigers-Dodgers game.
Apr 9, 2014, 10:15 AM EST
It took a while, but last night we got our first manager ejection of the season when Cubs skipper Rick Renteria was tossed by umpire Jeff Nelson for arguing about a 1-2 pitch that was called a ball.
Apr 9, 2014, 6:18 AM EST
A ton of guys had multi-homer games yesterday. Ryan Braun led the pack with his three. I’m sure that won’t bother anyone.
Apr 7, 2014, 11:51 AM EST
In the wake of Will Middlebrooks’ calf injury the Red Sox have signed Ryan Roberts to help fill in at third base, according to Alex Speier of WEEI.com.
Apr 7, 2014, 6:02 AM EST
Matt Kemp and Hanley Ramirez each went yard twice. And I contemplate the return of the game-winning RBI stat.
Apr 6, 2014, 3:43 PM EST
Darnell McDonald announced his retirement from professional baseball in a unique way on Saturday night, using Instagram — or rather Flipagram — to produce a pictorial of his career highlights …
Apr 5, 2014, 7:10 PM EST
The Rangers’ top prospect begins his long road back to a clean bill of health.
Apr 4, 2014, 6:08 AM EST
Discover the one weird trick Coco Crisp used to hit a walkoff home run in last night’s Mariners-A’s game. The answer may shock you!
Apr 3, 2014, 1:07 PM EST
The Cubs and Pirates played a very late game last night. It was bound to lead to some sloppiness today.
Apr 3, 2014, 2:14 AM EST
Notes from what could reign supreme as the longest game of the year for quite some time.
Apr 3, 2014, 1:04 AM EST
The Philadelphia Phillies might not have a top-five bullpen after all.
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 32
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 78
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 129
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 22
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 35
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 25
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (132)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)