Jun 15, 2015, 12:02 PM EDT
He can’t hit and can’t field his position, so this is an easy call.
Jun 6, 2015, 10:33 PM EDT
Christian Bethancourt played the role of hero for the Braves on Saturday night, hitting a walk off home run in the ninth inning against the Pirates.
May 13, 2015, 12:48 PM EDT
Nieves elected to become a free agent last week after being dropped from the 40-man roster by the Padres.
Apr 14, 2015, 7:15 AM EDT
Mookie Betts had himself a day.
Mar 26, 2015, 11:50 AM EDT
Buck was trying to win a job with the Braves on a minor-league contract.
Jan 26, 2015, 3:49 PM EDT
Buck joins Christian Bethancourt and A.J. Pierzynski on the Braves’ catching depth chart.
Dec 26, 2014, 10:25 PM EDT
The Braves’ one-year deal with catcher A.J. Pierzynski is for $2 million.
Nov 10, 2014, 11:32 AM EDT
They have a better catcher in Christian Bethancourt and Gattis would be better used on a team with a DH.
Sep 24, 2014, 8:02 PM EDT
Evan Gattis hasn’t played a full game for the Braves since September 7 because of strep throat and, more recently, a kidney stone. In that time, Atlanta has lost 12-of-14 games and been completely eliminated from postseason contention. But there will be no early shutdown for the 28-year-old slugging catcher.
Jul 31, 2014, 4:52 PM EDT
The Braves get their lefty and a venerable super sub. The Cubs get an interesting catching prospect.
Jul 21, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
Evan Gattis is off the disabled list after missing the past four weeks with a bulging disk in his back and to make room for his return the Braves demoted fill-in catcher Christian Bethancourt to Triple-A.
Mar 4, 2014, 2:58 PM EDT
LAKE BUENA VISTA — I’ve done a good job so far today not cheering in the press box. Kris Medlen struck a dude out looking. Evan Gattis just thew out a would-be base stealer. Both of those things are usually worth at least a fist-pump from me when watching a game but I’ve been totally…
Mar 1, 2014, 10:20 PM EDT
Jesse Sanchez of MLB.com is reporting that the Braves have signed Cuban catcher Yenier Bello to a minor league deal. Sanchez adds that the deal includes a signing bonus and an invitation to spring training. The Braves have a surplus of catching with Evan Gattis, Gerald Laird, Christian Bethancourt, and even Ryan Doumit. As a…
Oct 20, 2013, 8:10 PM EDT
Last week, we learned that some in the business think long time Braves catcher Brian McCann could earn as much as $100 million in free agency this off-season. That could come to fruition as many of the teams that will be in hot pursuit of McCann’s services rank among baseball’s richest teams. Jon Heyman of…
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 7
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 29
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 55
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 26
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 12
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 33
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)