May 23, 2014, 6:23 AM EDT
Boston has lost seven straight. Mark Buehrle has eight wins.
May 19, 2014, 4:21 PM EDT
For more than 100 years, people have used won-loss records to determine the best pitchers. That’s not great policy but hey, if we’re going to do it, how about we come up with a won-loss record for the 21st century? Enter: The Tango.
May 17, 2014, 9:05 PM EDT
Umpire Jerry Layne let his pride get in the way of an otherwise good ballgame.
Apr 10, 2014, 9:15 AM EDT
Friends don’t let friends cite wins, losses, holds and saves when talking about how pitchers did the night before.
Apr 10, 2014, 7:06 AM EDT
I saw Captain America last night. It was way better than the first few innings of the Tigers-Dodgers game.
Oct 10, 2013, 11:37 PM EDT
The A’s made the most impetuous decision of the postseason in starting Sonny Gray over Bartolo Colon in Wednesday’s Game 5, choosing a rookie over the guy who finished second in the AL in ERA based on one excellent performance. And how’d the follow that up? By treating Game 5 against a completely dominant Justin…
Oct 10, 2013, 10:10 PM EDT
Bad news for the Athletics: Justin Verlander has another run to work with. Sonny Gray was pulled from the game after he gave up back-to-back singles to Victor Martinez and Jhonny Peralta to begin the top of the sixth inning. He was relieved by Dan Otero, who got Victor Martinez to ground into a fielder’s…
Oct 3, 2013, 3:58 PM EDT
You can’t predict baseball, but you can at least lay out the parameters. So let’s take a look at what the Tigers and Athletics have in store for us in the American League Division Series. The Teams Detroit Tigers (93-69) vs. Oakland Athletics (96-66) The Matchups Game 1 Friday in Oakland: Max Scherzer vs. Bartolo…
Sep 21, 2013, 9:25 PM EDT
D.J. Short posted earlier about the O.co Coliseum’s latest sewage issue as a result of rain in the Oakland area. The showers caused a two-hour delay while players, coaches, and clubhouse personnel dealt with the primitive conditions indoors. Once play resumed, the A’s wasted no time getting on the board. Alberto Callaspo contributed an RBI…
Apr 25, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT
Last night Joey Votto was plunked by Dan Otero in the seventh inning of the Giants-Reds game. If Otero was actually trying to hit Votto it was pretty remarkable, because that would have been the only spot he hit in what was an otherwise hellish night for the Giants’ reliever. Way more likely: ball actually…
Apr 25, 2012, 6:03 AM EDT
Rangers 2, Yankees 0: Yu Darvish finally arrives. Eight and a third innings, ten strikeouts and a big goose egg in the runs column against the best offense in baseball. Rays 5, Angels 0: David Price: five-hit shutout. Albert Pujols: 0 for 4. He has the lowest slugging percentage of anyone in last night’s Angels…
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 9
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 134
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 19
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 33
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 30
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (134)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)