Dec 21, 2014, 2:50 PM EST
The field for James Shields has been winnowed down to a few, namely the Giants and Red Sox.
Dec 20, 2014, 7:10 PM EST
The Giants reportedly have no plans to attempt to initiate contract talk with free agent Max Scherzer.
Dec 19, 2014, 10:15 AM EST
According to the team president, at least.
Dec 14, 2014, 1:12 PM EST
Via’s Nick Cafardo’s Sunday notebook in the Boston Globe …
Dec 13, 2014, 10:35 PM EST
The Red Sox starting rotation is set, but president Larry Lucchino is still disappointed in his team’s failure to bring back Jon Lester.
Dec 13, 2014, 1:01 PM EST
The Cubs came out on top in the Jon Lester sweepstakes earlier this week and they are ready to make the deal official.
Dec 12, 2014, 8:20 PM EST
The deal was reported earlier this week and it’s now official.
Dec 11, 2014, 1:30 PM EST
The Yankees may actually be rebuilding and eschewing even moderate-sized deals.
Dec 11, 2014, 1:07 PM EST
Is anyone chasing Max Scherzer right now?
Dec 11, 2014, 12:26 PM EST
The Red Sox add their third starting pitcher in 24 hours.
Dec 11, 2014, 11:49 AM EST
Cincinnati is open for business.
Dec 11, 2014, 10:18 AM EST
The Sox get a pitcher, the Tigers get a slugger.
Dec 10, 2014, 6:20 PM EST
Now that Jon Lester has settled on a team, inking a six-year, $155 million contract late Tuesday night with the Cubs, the focus of the starting pitching market turns to Max Scherzer and James Shields.
Dec 10, 2014, 8:29 AM EST
The Cubs got better. The Red Sox’ job just got harder. Jon Lester got paid. Now what happens?
Dec 10, 2014, 1:34 AM EST
Lester will try to bring the North Side its first World Series victory since 1908.
Dec 9, 2014, 10:26 PM EST
The market for Scherzer has been pretty quiet at this week’s Winter Meetings so far, but things will likely heat up once Jon Lester is off the board.
Dec 9, 2014, 7:49 PM EST
It was reported earlier today that the Tigers “are prepared to spend big, big dollars” to re-sign right-hander Max Scherzer, but general manager Dave Dombrowski is singing a very different tune.
Dec 9, 2014, 7:25 PM EST
Hamels would be a perfectly suitable “Plan B” for the Red Sox or Cubs if they miss out on Jon Lester.
Dec 9, 2014, 2:45 PM EST
Good news for Scherzer’s agent.
Dec 9, 2014, 8:45 AM EST
Masterson was the Red Sox’s second-round draft pick in 2006.
Dec 8, 2014, 6:00 AM EST
HardballTalk is on the scene in San Diego for baseball’s annual free agent and trade bacchanalia.
Dec 7, 2014, 11:35 PM EST
The Nationals will make another attempt to lock Jordan Zimmermann up long-term.
Dec 7, 2014, 3:29 PM EST
CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman is hearing from rival MLB general managers that the Angels are making left-handed starter C.J. Wilson available for a trade ahead of this week’s Winter Meetings in San Diego.
Dec 7, 2014, 11:21 AM EST
Scherzer, a Scott Boras client, is a bit younger than Lester and will probably command a slightly bigger contract. The righty is expected to wait until the tail end of the offseason to settle on a team.
Dec 5, 2014, 9:20 PM EST
Need some pitching? The Marlins have a lot of it and are willing to use a pitcher or two to address other areas of need.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)