Jun 25, 2015, 7:16 AM EDT
Carlos Carrasco tamed the Tigers in what was clearly a worked match.
Jun 19, 2015, 7:18 AM EDT
A walkoff balk is just the latest weird occurrence in a weird week of baseball.
Jun 2, 2015, 6:59 AM EDT
Today: lessons in (a) how to call people by their proper name; (b) why you watch an entire game; and (c) how to commit seppuku. Really!
May 24, 2015, 7:10 PM EDT
Pirates starters Gerrit Cole, A.J. Burnett, and Francisco Liriano combined for 32 strikeouts in a three-game sweep of the Mets over the weekend.
May 6, 2015, 8:42 PM EDT
Joey Votto is probably facing a suspension for this scene Wednesday at Pittsburgh’s PNC Park …
May 4, 2015, 5:11 PM EDT
The pitchers and rookies of the month were also named.
Apr 30, 2015, 7:36 AM EDT
An empty park, a lefty whining about the shift and me whining about people whining about the “marine layer.”
Apr 14, 2015, 7:15 AM EDT
Mookie Betts had himself a day.
Mar 25, 2015, 7:48 PM EDT
Can the Bucs make a third consecutive trip to the postseason?
Mar 17, 2015, 5:41 PM EDT
Liriano posted a 2.20 ERA with 94 strikeouts in 86 innings after the All-Star break.
Mar 10, 2015, 11:50 AM EDT
Sano was a consensus top-10 prospect before elbow surgery.
Oct 1, 2014, 11:54 PM EDT
After Wednesday’s 8-0 loss, it’s time for the Pirates to start thinking about next year.
Oct 1, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT
Starting pitchers Francisco Liriano and Gerrit Cole off the Wild Card game roster, which is fairly typical.
Sep 29, 2014, 4:01 PM EDT
Here’s how far Edinson Volquez has come in one year: Last season he posted a 5.71 ERA and allowed the most earned runs in the league.
Sep 28, 2014, 9:44 AM EDT
There are still three undecided races heading into the final day of the regular season: the American League Central, the National League Central, and the second American League Wild Card spot. Let’s get weird.
Sep 27, 2014, 11:10 PM EDT
The Pirates and Cardinals go into the final game of the season still vying for the NL Central title.
Sep 27, 2014, 5:34 PM EDT
With the loss by the Pirates, the Cardinals can clinch the National League Central with a win over the Diamondbacks tonight.
Sep 24, 2014, 7:08 AM EDT
Andrew McCutchen and the Pirates light a victory cigar as they clinch their second straight playoff appearance.
Sep 8, 2014, 6:47 AM EDT
A third of all of yesterday’s games were shutouts. Three dudes had two-homer games. Happy 2014.
Sep 7, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT
Gerrit Cole got the win in Sunday’s start against the Cubs. Oh, and he also hit his first major league home run. All in a day’s work.
Sep 1, 2014, 6:31 PM EDT
The Brewers have had at least a share of first place since April 4.
Aug 20, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
Gerrit Cole’s lengthy minor-league rehab assignment is over and the Pirates have activated the former No. 1 overall pick from the disabled list for tonight’s start against the Braves.
Aug 19, 2014, 11:02 AM EDT
But I suppose someone — two someones, actually — has to win this ugly thing.
Aug 17, 2014, 2:57 PM EDT
The Pirates have lost four straight games and would not have a spot in the playoffs if the regular season ended today, but a big boost is coming this week. Tom Singer of MLB.com reports that right-hander Gerrit Cole is due back from the disabled list on Wednesday.
Aug 12, 2014, 6:29 PM EDT
Pirates right-hander Gerrit Cole was dominant in a rehab start Sunday at Triple-A Indianapolis, allowing just one hit over six scoreless innings. But he only made it to 73 pitches in that outing so the Bucs will have him make one more appearance in the minor leagues.
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 3
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 39
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 23
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (109)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)