Oct 11, 2014, 7:26 PM EST
Theo Epstein has his eyes on an NL Central title in 2015. It’s a realistic aspiration.
Jun 15, 2014, 11:54 AM EST
From MLB.com’s Brian McTaggart comes word that the Astros have agreed to terms on a minor league contract with free agent reliever Jose Veras. The right-hander was released by the Cubs last Tuesday after allowing 12 earned runs in just 13 1/3 innings.
Jun 3, 2014, 5:07 PM EST
Cubs starting catcher Welington Castillo is disabled list bound with a rib cage injury suffered Sunday and they’ve called up journeyman backup catcher Eli Whiteside from Triple-A to replace him on the roster.
May 22, 2014, 6:55 AM EST
Well, that’s something you don’t see every day.
May 16, 2014, 1:13 PM EST
How much longer will Jeff Samardzija and Jason Hammel be in Chicago?
Apr 12, 2014, 3:10 PM EST
Jose Veras struggled again last night and will get a break from the closer role.
May 5, 2013, 10:55 PM EST
Cubs reliever Carlos Marmol imploded yesterday, walking two batters and hitting another to load the bases with no outs in the eighth inning attempting to hold on to a 4-2 lead. Manager Dale Sveum replaced Marmol with Hector Rondon, who allowed all three of Marmol’s runners to score and the Reds eventually went on to…
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 72
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 85
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 37
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 14
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (142)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)