Feb 23, 2015, 6:22 PM EDT
Rays pitcher Drew Smyly says it’s unfair that a 19-year-old from the United States can’t get a similar bonus as Yoan Moncada.
Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties
Feb 23, 2015, 10:08 AM EDT
Boston spends $63 million on an elite, 19-year-old infield prospect.
Feb 18, 2015, 4:02 PM EDT
This describes any given seven-year stretch in most of our lives, though, right?
Feb 17, 2015, 9:04 PM EDT
Cuban slugger Yasmany Tomas commanded a $68.5 million contract from the Diamondbacks in November and Yoan Moncada has been drawing most of the headlines lately, but Hector Olivera appears poised to beat his fellow countrymen at the signing table.
Feb 14, 2015, 5:28 PM EDT
We have been hearing about Cuban infielder Yoan Moncada for months, but it sounds like the situation is finally getting close to a resolution.
Feb 10, 2015, 5:02 PM EDT
He last played in the bigs in 2013. He played in Korea last year until being kicked off his team for “disrespectful conduct.”
Feb 9, 2015, 12:02 PM EDT
Moncada has held private workouts for interested teams and the 19-year-old is expected to land a big contract, perhaps in excess of $40 million.
Feb 9, 2015, 7:54 AM EDT
He’ll be a player-manager for a Japanese independent team.
Feb 5, 2015, 9:58 PM EDT
The Padres currently project to be around $89 million for 2015, but GM A.J. Preller still has some wiggle room with his budget.
Feb 3, 2015, 3:38 PM EDT
At long last, the 19-year-old infielder is free to sign a deal.
Feb 1, 2015, 4:11 PM EDT
Badler writes that Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez and assistant GM John Coppolella were both in attendance, along with a number of special assistants and the organization’s top two scouts.
Jan 31, 2015, 10:10 AM EDT
While MLB still needs to give their approval, it appears that Cuban infielder Yoan Moncada is one step closer to finally signing with a team.
Jan 29, 2015, 10:50 PM EDT
High-spending teams like the Yankees and Red Sox are among the favorites to sign Cuban infielder Yoan Moncada, but the Rays are also interested even if it’s fair to call them a long shot.
Jan 28, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
Complications with new regulations may soon be ironed out.
Jan 27, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
The league now requires Cuban players to get a much more difficult to obtain clearance to sign than even the federal government requires.
Jan 24, 2015, 4:01 PM EDT
The Giants, Padres, Rangers, Braves, and Yankees are among the teams showing strong interest in Olivera.
Jan 21, 2015, 9:49 PM EDT
Baseball America’s Ben Badler calls Heredia a “plus defender” in center field with good range and a strong throwing arm.
Jan 20, 2015, 7:48 PM EDT
You probably could have assumed this one.
Jan 20, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
The Giants did the same thing over the weekend.
Jan 19, 2015, 5:55 PM EDT
Count the Giants in the mix for Cuban infielder Yoan Moncada.
Jan 18, 2015, 10:26 PM EDT
The Nationals have signed first baseman Kila Ka’aihue to a minor league deal with an invitation to spring training.
Jan 13, 2015, 11:14 PM EDT
Moncada is waiting to be cleared for employment by the United States’ Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC). He’s also being pursued by the Yankees and Red Sox. This bidding war is going to get wild.
Jan 9, 2015, 10:03 AM EDT
He can’t sign yet, however.
Dec 30, 2014, 8:28 AM EDT
The second baseman has had some health issues, but has a potent bat.
Dec 25, 2014, 1:23 PM EDT
Your one-stop shop for all of the offseason signings.
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with apparent side injury 5
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 2
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 6
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 4
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 7
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 29
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)