Feb 21, 2015, 7:15 PM EST
The Giants offered $5 million more to James Shields than he ultimately wound up signing for with the Padres.
Feb 13, 2015, 9:36 AM EST
But it seems like an opt-out which is unlikely to be exercised.
Feb 12, 2015, 12:55 PM EST
“And my No. 1 reason is winning.”
Feb 11, 2015, 10:27 PM EST
James Shields was officially introduced as a member of the Padres on Wednesday at Petco Park …
Feb 11, 2015, 8:08 PM EST
ESPN’s Jayson Stark reported Monday that the Padres, Rangers, Dodgers, and Cardinals have “stayed in contact with Phillies on Hamels,” so perhaps those are the four teams that have made these “real” offers.
Feb 11, 2015, 4:55 PM EST
Sources say: the Padres
Feb 11, 2015, 3:45 PM EST
It’s $75 million guaranteed with a $16 million team option
Feb 11, 2015, 10:30 AM EST
Figuratively, I assume. And not, like, coming at Ruben Amaro with a crowbar.
Feb 10, 2015, 11:17 AM EST
Don’t feel too sorry for James Shields.
Feb 10, 2015, 10:15 AM EST
Shields ultimately decided to play at home in San Diego, choosing the Padres’ four-year, $75 million offer.
Feb 9, 2015, 9:20 PM EST
Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro, Jr. said late last month that he was expecting left-hander Cole Hamels to still be with the team when the season begins. He still feels the same way today.
Feb 9, 2015, 12:02 PM EST
Moncada has held private workouts for interested teams and the 19-year-old is expected to land a big contract, perhaps in excess of $40 million.
Feb 9, 2015, 10:31 AM EST
A total of 11 free agents topped $50 million.
Feb 9, 2015, 9:00 AM EST
Padres fans have never had a ton to get excited about. That has changed this winter.
Feb 9, 2015, 2:12 AM EST
The Padres have reportedly signed starter James Shields to a four-year deal in the $72-76 million range.
Feb 8, 2015, 8:39 PM EST
The Padres have reportedly made a four-year offer to James Shields believed to be between $72-80 million. Shields is expected to make a decision soon.
Feb 8, 2015, 4:25 PM EST
It appears the Marlins are going to lose out on James Shields despite making a strong effort to sign the free agent starter. Now the club’s focus looks to be shifting to a different type of late-offseason addition.
Feb 8, 2015, 10:59 AM EST
It’s almost a consensus by now that Shields is going to wind up in San Diego, but there are obviously other teams in the mix or the 33-year-old right-hander would have already signed with the Padres.
Feb 7, 2015, 9:55 PM EST
James Shields said he never turned down a $110 million offer made earlier this off-season. He is expected to sign with a team by Sunday evening.
Feb 7, 2015, 5:07 PM EST
Is the James Shields saga finally reaching a conclusion?
Feb 6, 2015, 10:15 AM EST
Shields is from California and currently lives in San Diego.
Feb 5, 2015, 9:58 PM EST
The Padres currently project to be around $89 million for 2015, but GM A.J. Preller still has some wiggle room with his budget.
Feb 5, 2015, 8:30 AM EST
The last remaining big free agent could choose a new team this week.
Feb 4, 2015, 11:44 AM EST
James Shields finally appears close to making a decision.
Feb 4, 2015, 7:45 AM EST
He is said to have “multiple offers in hand.”
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)