Oct 25, 2014, 5:30 PM EST
This is the second hernia surgery in the back-end of the Mets’ bullpen since the end of the season, as closer Jenrry Mejia had his earlier this month.
Oct 2, 2014, 6:47 PM EST
After taking over the Mets’ closer role in May, Mejia posted a 2.72 ERA and 60/21 K/BB ratio over 56 1/3 innings while going 28-for-31 in save opportunities.
Sep 2, 2014, 7:10 AM EST
Four Phillies combine for the no-no. I’m actually surprised we haven’t seen more of these in recent years.
Jul 1, 2014, 6:34 AM EST
Every ten years or so, the Tigers get a walkoff grand slam. Like, every ten years or so, basically to the week.
May 14, 2014, 8:45 PM EST
Mets catcher Travis d’Arnaud received the bunt of Alfonso Soriano’s backswing and may need some time on the seven-day concussion DL to recuperate.
May 11, 2014, 9:15 PM EST
24-year-old right-hander Jeurys Familia has been solid out of the bullpen for the Mets, and manager Terry Collins says he could be the club’s new closer soon.
Jan 17, 2014, 9:45 PM EST
Mets closer Bobby Parnell went on the disabled list after a perfect inning of relief on July 30 and did not return, eventually undergoing surgery to repair a herniated disk in his neck. It was an unfortunate end to his first season as the team’s full-time closer, as he had a 2.16 ERA and 22…
Jun 5, 2013, 2:20 PM EST
Jeurys Familia has been on the disabled list since May 9 and the Mets announced that the right-hander will undergo surgery to remove bone spurs from his elbow. Familia was a highly regarded prospect heading into 2012, but mostly struggled at Triple-A last season and has shifted to the bullpen full time in the majors.…
Dec 29, 2012, 10:28 AM EST
According to CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman, the Mets are “scouring” the market for bullpen help. He mentions Jose Valverde, Francisco Rodriguez and Matt Capps among those still available, but it’s unclear whether the Mets have any interest in those specific pitchers. Frank Francisco had surgery earlier this month to remove a bone spur from his…
Sep 28, 2012, 10:08 PM EST
The Pirates appeared to hit rock bottom on Wednesday, when they were shutout primarily by a pitcher they gave up on waivers to the Mets prior to the start of the season (Jeremy Hefner pitched seven scoreless innings, allowing three hits, before rookie Jeurys Familia finished up). As it turned out, that was still just…
Mar 18, 2012, 9:00 PM EST
Mike Pelfrey gave up eight runs to the Astros (of all teams) on Sunday, taking his spring ERA to 14.90. In the best of his three starts, he allowed four runs in 4 1/3 innings and struck out none versus the Cardinals. Overall, he’s allowed 16 runs, 20 hits and six walks while striking out…
Feb 22, 2012, 11:00 PM EST
As depressing as all things Mets have been lately, the team on the field still finished a respectable 77-85 last season. Unfortunately, it seems likely that things will get worse before they get better. Rotation Johan Santana – L R.A. Dickey – R Mike Pelfrey – R Jon Niese – L Dillon Gee – R…
Dec 17, 2011, 11:44 AM EST
There was an interesting report by Tracy Ringolsby of FOXSports.com yesterday that Mets’ left-hander Jon Niese was available in a trade centered around Rockies’ outfielder Seth Smith. It didn’t make a lot of sense on the Mets’ end, barring the inclusion of a third team, and it turns out there isn’t much to it. According…
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 74
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 47
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 35
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 52
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (75)