Mar 23, 2015, 7:31 PM EDT
The Rangers added veteran left-hander Joe Beimel on a major league deal earlier this month, but he pitched awful during Cactus League action and was given his release by the club this afternoon.
Mar 6, 2015, 2:20 PM EDT
Beimel pitched well for the Mariners last season, throwing 45 innings with a 2.20 ERA.
Dec 25, 2014, 1:23 PM EDT
Your one-stop shop for all of the offseason signings.
Oct 31, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Including writeups for the top 63, because we’re not always all about round numbers.
Oct 6, 2014, 12:17 AM EDT
GM Dave Drombowski and owner Mike Ilitch will have to dig deep to keep the team together this winter.
Jun 13, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
He’s 40, he’s from West Virginia and he goes after anyone who criticizes Yasiel Puig. It’s like I’m looking into a mirror.
May 18, 2013, 7:55 PM EDT
The Braves just received some bad news on reliever Eric O’Flaherty, as the lefty was diagnosed with a torn ulnar collateral ligament in his left elbow. Losing O’Flaherty means the Braves have just one left-hander in the bullpen in Luis Avilan. As a result, the Braves signed Joe Beimel to a minor league contract per Tim…
Mar 26, 2012, 7:11 PM EDT
As part of their cuts Monday, the Rangers released veterans Conor Jackson, Joe Beimel and Mitch Stetter, making the group free agents. Jackson, who finished last season with the Red Sox, was vying to make the Rangers as a right-handed hitting option at first base and in the outfield corners, but he was just 3-for-33…
Feb 6, 2012, 4:16 PM EDT
Texas added some depth today, signing first baseman/corner outfielder Conor Jackson and left-handed reliever Joe Beimel to minor-league contracts with invitations to spring training. Jackson’s career was derailed by valley fever in 2009. At the time he was a 27-year-old former first-round pick with a .287 career batting average and .810 OPS in 454 games,…
Mar 19, 2010, 1:16 PM EDT
A profile of Davey Johnson in today’s Baltimore Sun. Gotta love Davey, so it’s definitely worth a read. Johnson, as you probably know, is now a special assistant to Nats’ GM Mike Rizzo. And unlike so many special assistant jobs out there, his isn’t about glad-handing season ticket holders and stuff — he’s actually contributing…
Mar 18, 2010, 8:40 PM EDT
Jon Heyman of SI.com reports that an MRI on the right shoulder of Huston Street came back “clean.” This at least eliminates the worst-case scenario of season-ending surgery or something of that nature, but according to Heyman, the club “will take it slow with him” and “look for another reliever.” Obviously, Street’s chances of opening…
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 11
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 16
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)