Dec 22, 2014, 11:00 PM EST
This means the Padres will only have to pay Kemp $3 million next season.
Dec 18, 2014, 11:27 PM EST
It took long enough, but Matt Kemp has finally been traded to the Padres.
Dec 14, 2014, 10:35 PM EST
The Matt Kemp deal will come closer to becoming finalized when the outfielder takes a physical.
Dec 11, 2014, 7:47 PM EST
The deal isn’t officially announced, but Matt Kemp said goodbye to Dodgers fans and the city of Los Angeles today after learning that he’s headed to the Padres.
Dec 11, 2014, 3:54 AM EST
The Dodgers aren’t done making deals yet. They are reportedly close to a trade to send outfielder Matt Kemp to San Diego.
Dec 6, 2014, 5:24 PM EST
Wieland made it back to the majors this in September after missing two years due to elbow issues.
Sep 5, 2014, 1:13 PM EST
Wieland hasn’t pitched in a big-league game since May 6, 2012.
Mar 27, 2014, 6:00 PM EST
Between now and Opening Day, HardballTalk will take a look at each of baseball’s 30 teams, asking the key questions, the not-so-key questions, and generally breaking down their chances for the 2014 season. Next up: The San Diego Padres The Big Question: Can the Padres stay healthy enough to surprise? The last two years with…
Mar 17, 2014, 11:45 PM EST
You guys aren’t going to believe this, but here’s some good news about an injured starting pitcher. While Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports reported late last night that the Padres were fearful that right-hander Joe Wieland would require a second Tommy John surgery, general manager Josh Byrnes told Jeff Sanders of U-T San Diego this…
Mar 17, 2014, 10:15 AM EST
Padres right-hander Joe Wieland underwent Tommy John elbow surgery in 2012, missing all of last season recovering, and now the 25-year-old is having more elbow problems that have everyone worried he may need another Tommy John surgery. Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports reports that Wieland is scheduled to undergo an MRI exam today and there’s…
Mar 23, 2013, 11:00 AM EST
Between now and Opening Day, HardballTalk will take a look at each of baseball’s 30 teams, asking the key questions, the not-so-key questions, and generally breaking down their chances for the 2013 season. Up next: The San Diego Padres. The Big Question: Can the Padres build on their strong second half from last year? While…
Jan 28, 2013, 7:03 PM EST
According to ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick, the Padres have signed veteran right-hander Freddy Garcia to a minor league contract. He’ll also get an invite to spring training, where he’ll compete for a spot in San Diego’s starting rotation. Garcia, 36, posted a 5.20 ERA in 17 starts and 13 relief appearances with the Yankees last season.…
Jul 18, 2012, 11:19 AM EST
Joe Wieland had a promising debut for the Padres, posting a 4.55 ERA and 24/9 K/BB ratio through five starts after coming over from the Rangers in last year’s Mike Adams trade, but the 22-year-old rookie hasn’t pitched since being shut down with elbow problems in early May. And now he won’t pitch until at…
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 12
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Phillies and Brewers moving closer to Jonathan Papelbon trade 52
- Pete Rose will be at the All-Star Game in Cincinnati this year 29
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)