Mar 30, 2015, 11:34 PM EDT
Garcia, 38, last pitched in the majors in 2013 as a member of the Orioles and Braves.
Mar 24, 2015, 12:20 PM EDT
Joe Wieland seems like the best bet to take his place in the rotation early on.
Mar 22, 2015, 11:45 PM EDT
Hyun-Jin Ryu’s barking shoulder has sent him back to L.A. for a check-up.
Mar 13, 2015, 9:20 PM EDT
Tim Federowicz has been diagnosed with a complete tear of the meniscus in his right knee and will miss three to six months.
Dec 22, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
This means the Padres will only have to pay Kemp $3 million next season.
Dec 18, 2014, 11:27 PM EDT
It took long enough, but Matt Kemp has finally been traded to the Padres.
Dec 14, 2014, 10:35 PM EDT
The Matt Kemp deal will come closer to becoming finalized when the outfielder takes a physical.
Dec 11, 2014, 7:47 PM EDT
The deal isn’t officially announced, but Matt Kemp said goodbye to Dodgers fans and the city of Los Angeles today after learning that he’s headed to the Padres.
Dec 11, 2014, 3:54 AM EDT
The Dodgers aren’t done making deals yet. They are reportedly close to a trade to send outfielder Matt Kemp to San Diego.
Dec 6, 2014, 5:24 PM EDT
Wieland made it back to the majors this in September after missing two years due to elbow issues.
Sep 5, 2014, 1:13 PM EDT
Wieland hasn’t pitched in a big-league game since May 6, 2012.
Mar 27, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
Between now and Opening Day, HardballTalk will take a look at each of baseball’s 30 teams, asking the key questions, the not-so-key questions, and generally breaking down their chances for the 2014 season. Next up: The San Diego Padres The Big Question: Can the Padres stay healthy enough to surprise? The last two years with…
Mar 17, 2014, 11:45 PM EDT
You guys aren’t going to believe this, but here’s some good news about an injured starting pitcher. While Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports reported late last night that the Padres were fearful that right-hander Joe Wieland would require a second Tommy John surgery, general manager Josh Byrnes told Jeff Sanders of U-T San Diego this…
Mar 17, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Padres right-hander Joe Wieland underwent Tommy John elbow surgery in 2012, missing all of last season recovering, and now the 25-year-old is having more elbow problems that have everyone worried he may need another Tommy John surgery. Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports reports that Wieland is scheduled to undergo an MRI exam today and there’s…
Mar 23, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
Between now and Opening Day, HardballTalk will take a look at each of baseball’s 30 teams, asking the key questions, the not-so-key questions, and generally breaking down their chances for the 2013 season. Up next: The San Diego Padres. The Big Question: Can the Padres build on their strong second half from last year? While…
Jan 28, 2013, 7:03 PM EDT
According to ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick, the Padres have signed veteran right-hander Freddy Garcia to a minor league contract. He’ll also get an invite to spring training, where he’ll compete for a spot in San Diego’s starting rotation. Garcia, 36, posted a 5.20 ERA in 17 starts and 13 relief appearances with the Yankees last season.…
Jul 18, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
Joe Wieland had a promising debut for the Padres, posting a 4.55 ERA and 24/9 K/BB ratio through five starts after coming over from the Rangers in last year’s Mike Adams trade, but the 22-year-old rookie hasn’t pitched since being shut down with elbow problems in early May. And now he won’t pitch until at…
- National League GM says Phillies’ asking price for Cole Hamels hasn’t dropped “one bit” 0
- Giants receive their 2014 World Series championship rings 10
- Angels activate Garrett Richards for Sunday debut 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 12
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 38
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 25
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)