Mar 2, 2015, 8:17 AM EDT
The lives of a couple of “Moneyball” players serves as a jumping off point for a good Monday morning rant.
Jan 28, 2015, 12:16 PM EDT
Baker was once a solid starting catcher for the Marlins, but he’s been mostly injured for the past five seasons.
Dec 3, 2014, 12:22 AM EDT
A list of all of the new free agents in advance of Tuesday’s midnight deadline.
Jul 30, 2014, 8:23 AM EDT
It was a long game, but it had a good ending.
Jul 30, 2014, 7:24 AM EDT
The Yankees and Rangers gave us a retro night in Arlington.
Jun 12, 2014, 4:16 PM EDT
Chicago currently has John Baker and Eli Whiteside splitting time behind the plate because starting catcher Welington Castillo is on the disabled list with a rib cage injury.
May 31, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
Ruben Tejada shocked the baseball world by homering on Saturday against the Phillies.
May 27, 2013, 9:38 PM EDT
Yasmani Grandal showed plenty of promise as a rookie last season, but he was handed a 50-game suspension last fall after he tested positive for elevated levels of testosterone. However, now that Grandal has completed his punishment and a brief rehab assignment, Corey Brock of MLB.com reports that the 24-year-old backstop will rejoin the Padres…
Jan 18, 2013, 7:20 PM EDT
By noon we’d already done a dozen posts about players and teams avoiding arbitration ahead of today’s deadline, so something had to give. We’ll keep posting the more noteworthy cases, but here’s a roundup of the not-so-noteworthy ones that will be updated throughout the day. • Gaby Sanchez and the Pirates: $1.75 million • Antonio…
Aug 13, 2012, 8:26 PM EDT
Yasmani Grandal‘s first extended chance at playing time in the big leagues hit a bit of a snag when he suffered a strained right oblique two weeks ago, but he’s inching closer to beginning a minor league rehab assignment. According to Corey Brock of MLB.com, Grandal took batting practice from both sides of the plate…
Aug 1, 2012, 12:16 PM EDT
Rookie catcher Yasmani Grandal has provided a huge spark for the Padres since being called up on June 2, hitting .312 with five homers and a .947 OPS in 24 games, but now he’ll miss at least two weeks with a strained oblique muscle. He’ll be eligible to return from the disabled list in the…
Jul 30, 2012, 9:56 PM EDT
Yasmani Grandal has been a nice bright spot for the out-of-contention Padres since taking over the everyday catcher job from Nick Hundley one month ago, but he’s now likely headed for an extended absence. According to Corey Brock of MLB.com, Grandal left tonight’s game against the Reds with a right oblique strain. He suffered the…
Mar 7, 2012, 3:53 PM EDT
Months of anticipation of Yu Darvish‘s debut led up to less than a half hour of baseball action, but it was exciting baseball action all the same. The tale of the tape: two innings, 36 pitches, 26 strikes, no runs, a couple of hits, three strikeouts, a spiffy defensive play and the beginning of what’s…
Mar 7, 2012, 12:30 PM EDT
I’m not gonna say that there’s a lot of interest in Yu Darvish‘s first start, but the Padres’ PR staff has roped off 100 seats in a section along the third base line as an auxiliary media section. Yeah, this is not your usual Wednesday morning in the Cactus League. I got here super early and made…
Feb 24, 2012, 6:11 PM EDT
One of the surprise teams of 2010, the Padres will try to rebound this year from a 2011 season that saw them lose an additional 19 games and finish 71-91. And just to make it a bit more of a challenge, the team will give it a go without ace Mat Latos, who was sent…
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 54
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)