Mar 2, 2015, 8:17 AM EDT
The lives of a couple of “Moneyball” players serves as a jumping off point for a good Monday morning rant.
Jan 28, 2015, 12:16 PM EDT
Baker was once a solid starting catcher for the Marlins, but he’s been mostly injured for the past five seasons.
Dec 3, 2014, 12:22 AM EDT
A list of all of the new free agents in advance of Tuesday’s midnight deadline.
Jul 30, 2014, 8:23 AM EDT
It was a long game, but it had a good ending.
Jul 30, 2014, 7:24 AM EDT
The Yankees and Rangers gave us a retro night in Arlington.
Jun 12, 2014, 4:16 PM EDT
Chicago currently has John Baker and Eli Whiteside splitting time behind the plate because starting catcher Welington Castillo is on the disabled list with a rib cage injury.
May 31, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
Ruben Tejada shocked the baseball world by homering on Saturday against the Phillies.
May 27, 2013, 9:38 PM EDT
Yasmani Grandal showed plenty of promise as a rookie last season, but he was handed a 50-game suspension last fall after he tested positive for elevated levels of testosterone. However, now that Grandal has completed his punishment and a brief rehab assignment, Corey Brock of MLB.com reports that the 24-year-old backstop will rejoin the Padres…
Jan 18, 2013, 7:20 PM EDT
By noon we’d already done a dozen posts about players and teams avoiding arbitration ahead of today’s deadline, so something had to give. We’ll keep posting the more noteworthy cases, but here’s a roundup of the not-so-noteworthy ones that will be updated throughout the day. • Gaby Sanchez and the Pirates: $1.75 million • Antonio…
Aug 13, 2012, 8:26 PM EDT
Yasmani Grandal‘s first extended chance at playing time in the big leagues hit a bit of a snag when he suffered a strained right oblique two weeks ago, but he’s inching closer to beginning a minor league rehab assignment. According to Corey Brock of MLB.com, Grandal took batting practice from both sides of the plate…
Aug 1, 2012, 12:16 PM EDT
Rookie catcher Yasmani Grandal has provided a huge spark for the Padres since being called up on June 2, hitting .312 with five homers and a .947 OPS in 24 games, but now he’ll miss at least two weeks with a strained oblique muscle. He’ll be eligible to return from the disabled list in the…
Jul 30, 2012, 9:56 PM EDT
Yasmani Grandal has been a nice bright spot for the out-of-contention Padres since taking over the everyday catcher job from Nick Hundley one month ago, but he’s now likely headed for an extended absence. According to Corey Brock of MLB.com, Grandal left tonight’s game against the Reds with a right oblique strain. He suffered the…
Mar 7, 2012, 3:53 PM EDT
Months of anticipation of Yu Darvish‘s debut led up to less than a half hour of baseball action, but it was exciting baseball action all the same. The tale of the tape: two innings, 36 pitches, 26 strikes, no runs, a couple of hits, three strikeouts, a spiffy defensive play and the beginning of what’s…
Mar 7, 2012, 12:30 PM EDT
I’m not gonna say that there’s a lot of interest in Yu Darvish‘s first start, but the Padres’ PR staff has roped off 100 seats in a section along the third base line as an auxiliary media section. Yeah, this is not your usual Wednesday morning in the Cactus League. I got here super early and made…
Feb 24, 2012, 6:11 PM EDT
One of the surprise teams of 2010, the Padres will try to rebound this year from a 2011 season that saw them lose an additional 19 games and finish 71-91. And just to make it a bit more of a challenge, the team will give it a go without ace Mat Latos, who was sent…
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 0
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 8
- National League GM says Phillies’ asking price for Cole Hamels hasn’t dropped “one bit” 10
- Giants receive their 2014 World Series championship rings 19
- Angels activate Garrett Richards for Sunday debut 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 12
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 38
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)