Apr 17, 2015, 6:00 AM EDT
Dollar for dollar, this starter gives his team more value than just about anyone.
Apr 11, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT
The Reds won in their final at-bat for the fourth time in four games to start the season. Tigers pitching finally yielded an earned run. Mark Buehrle won his 200th career game. Friday had a lot of interesting results.
Apr 9, 2015, 8:58 PM EDT
Kelly came down with biceps tendinitis during a Grapefruit League start on March 16, but he’s now ready to make his season debut.
Mar 31, 2015, 6:09 PM EDT
Adam Wainwright tossed a spring-high 93 pitches in a Grapefruit League appearance Tuesday afternoon against the Marlins and was officially declared the Cardinals’ Opening Night starter after the outing by manager Mike Matheny.
Mar 24, 2015, 7:24 PM EDT
Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports reported earlier this month that “serious concern exists” about the structure of Hector Olivera’s throwing elbow. That report has been refuted by Olivera’s representatives and the 29-year-old Cuban infielder still managed to score …
Mar 18, 2015, 7:47 PM EDT
The Cardinals have advanced to the NLCS in nine of the last 15 seasons — 2000, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014. Can this 2015 group follow in those footsteps?
Mar 2, 2015, 5:12 PM EDT
Seems a bit light as far as these things go.
Feb 24, 2015, 9:55 PM EDT
Joe Kelly effectively knocked Hanley Ramirez out of the 2013 NLCS when the then-Cardinals-starter struck the then-Dodgers-shortstop in the rib cage with a 95 mph fastball in the top of the first inning of Game 1.
Feb 19, 2015, 10:47 AM EDT
“It’s a great place to be and it’s something I would entertain for sure.”
Jan 22, 2015, 8:57 PM EDT
Craig, who was acquired from the Cardinals last July in the John Lackey deal, batted just .215 with eight home runs and a .594 OPS across 126 games last season.
Jan 8, 2015, 12:01 AM EDT
Could the Cardinals be gearing up for a big late-offseason splash?
Dec 22, 2014, 7:49 AM EDT
Understated, it is not.
Dec 17, 2014, 11:15 AM EDT
They’re getting lots of calls on him, though.
Dec 3, 2014, 8:55 PM EDT
At the end of October, the Cardinals exercised a major league-minimum option for 2015 on veteran right-hander John Lackey. Now it sounds like some incentives are going to be added.
Nov 27, 2014, 6:05 PM EDT
A couple more options have appeared on the Marlins’ radar for an upgrade at first base.
Nov 18, 2014, 6:25 PM EDT
Might the Cardinals be a darkhorse in the Jon Lester sweepstakes? Jim Bowden of ESPN and SiriusXM says they are “in pursuit,” citing a club source.
Oct 30, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
He’ll play for the minimum salary at age 36.
Oct 26, 2014, 1:05 AM EDT
Some quick notes from Saturday’s Game 4.
Oct 14, 2014, 7:33 PM EDT
Randy Choate came in and things got weird.
Oct 14, 2014, 6:13 PM EDT
Randal Grichuk lost track of a ball at the right field wall in the first inning, contributing to the Giants’ big four-run opening frame, but he just redeemed himself with a game-tying solo shot high and deep down the left field line in the top of the seventh.
Oct 14, 2014, 4:57 PM EDT
Travis Ishikawa’s bases-clearing double put the Giants up 4-0 in the first.
Oct 14, 2014, 1:05 PM EDT
Mike Matheny goes with A.J. Pierzynski as Yadier Molina’s replacement.
Oct 13, 2014, 9:38 PM EDT
Before Kolten Wong connected for a walk-off home run to win Game 2 of the NLCS for the Cardinals last night, the Giants tied things up when Matt Duffy scored all the way from second base on a wild pitch from Trevor Rosenthal. Here’s a look at how it all went down.
Oct 12, 2014, 11:55 PM EDT
Cardinals second baseman Kolten Wong ended a back-and-forth affair in Game 2 of the NLCS with a walk-off solo home run to lead off the bottom of the ninth inning against the Giants.
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 1
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 19
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 346
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 81
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 53
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (346)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (175)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)