Aug 7, 2015, 1:32 PM EDT
Mayberry signed a one-year, $1.45 million contract with the Mets this offseason, but hit just .164 in 59 games.
Jul 25, 2015, 10:01 AM EDT
John Mayberry, Jr. batted cleanup against Dodgers left-hander Clayton Kershaw on Thursday night. Now he’s a goner.
May 19, 2015, 6:10 AM EDT
Not a full schedule yesterday but all but one game was decided by one run. And Josh Donaldson probably needs to have his mouth washed out with Lifebuoy.
May 14, 2015, 7:02 PM EDT
This was the Cubs’ first four-game sweep of the Mets since August of 1992.
Apr 4, 2015, 7:20 PM EDT
Anthony Recker was a hero for the Mets on Saturday, blasting a game-tying grand slam in the ninth inning against the Rangers.
Mar 24, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
Will the return of Matt Harvey and the offseason signing of Michael Cuddyer propel the Mets into contention?
Feb 21, 2015, 8:25 PM EDT
Manager Terry Collins believes the Mets have what it takes to get back to the playoffs.
Feb 2, 2015, 9:12 PM EDT
The Mets have had a quiet winter, but GM Sandy Alderson thinks they have the potential to improve by 10 wins from 2014.
Dec 25, 2014, 1:23 PM EDT
Your one-stop shop for all of the offseason signings.
Dec 15, 2014, 2:14 PM EDT
Germen spent parts of the past two seasons in the Mets’ bullpen, posting a combined 4.31 ERA with 64 strikeouts in 65 innings.
Dec 11, 2014, 11:34 AM EDT
Mayberry was traded from the Phillies to the Blue Jays in September and then non-tendered by Toronto last week.
Dec 4, 2014, 8:50 PM EDT
Both players would fit with several teams in part-time duty or in a bench role.
Dec 3, 2014, 12:22 AM EDT
A list of all of the new free agents in advance of Tuesday’s midnight deadline.
Dec 2, 2014, 9:58 PM EDT
The Blue Jays appear to be planning for a future without Melky Cabrera.
Oct 28, 2014, 10:59 AM EDT
For 13 years, baseball has made a point to honor the troops in a more conspicuous way than it had before. Have we lost something as a result?
Oct 11, 2014, 12:41 PM EDT
Baseball, I’ve written before, will never stop being the game it was when you were 10 years old. That’s the charm. That’s the nostalgia. That’s the trap. I was 10 years old in 1977. The Kansas City Royals had the best record in baseball that year. The Baltimore Orioles were baseball’s paragon.
Aug 31, 2014, 11:35 PM EDT
The Blue Jays added an outfield bench bat, picking up John Mayberry, Jr. from the Phillies on Sunday.
Aug 20, 2014, 2:58 PM EDT
Joe Posnanski says the Royals’ plan is finally falling into place and has their fans believing they can get back to the glory days of the 1970s.
Jul 1, 2014, 11:51 AM EDT
It’s time to re-tool in Philadelphia.
Jun 20, 2014, 6:05 PM EDT
Things went south quickly for Grady Sizemore after he made his return to the big leagues in April following a two-year absence. The Red Sox recently released him, but Sizemore is drawing interest from several teams, including the Phillies.
Jun 13, 2014, 6:47 AM EDT
I took the kids to the Dodgers-Reds game and they saw Yasiel Puig flop about three feet from the second base bag on a caught stealing. Still: beats working.
Jun 6, 2014, 11:51 AM EDT
“Everyone is just looking in the mirror, looking around, trying to find that spark.”
May 2, 2014, 11:35 PM EDT
Kevin Frandsen was shockingly cut by the Phillies towards the end of spring training despite the club’s lack of depth. Frandsen is on a better team and performing well, but he is still upset about the way things ended in Philadelphia.
Apr 26, 2014, 11:05 AM EDT
Steve Cishek’s save streak snapped. Will he now have to sell seashells by the sea shore?
Apr 21, 2014, 12:46 PM EDT
You probably know this, but the Kansas City Royals single season home run record is 36, and Steve Balboni set it almost 30 years ago.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)