Feb 15, 2015, 7:10 PM EST
The Reds would still like to sign Johnny Cueto to a contract extension, but he won’t negotiate beyond Opening Day.
Feb 10, 2015, 10:15 AM EST
Shields ultimately decided to play at home in San Diego, choosing the Padres’ four-year, $75 million offer.
Feb 6, 2015, 10:47 AM EST
Cueto threw a league-leading 244 innings with a 2.25 ERA and league-high 242 strikeouts last season to finish runner-up in the Cy Young balloting to Clayton Kershaw.
Jan 7, 2015, 10:13 PM EST
Johnny Cueto’s agent Bryce Dixon said last month that his client wouldn’t negotiate an extension with the Reds beyond Opening Day 2015. The right-hander is only 28 years old and has been one of the best starting pitchers in baseball for several seasons …
Dec 22, 2014, 9:32 PM EST
Johnny Cueto is set to become a free agent next offseason, but the Reds have a small window of time to convince their ace to stick around for the long-term.
Dec 11, 2014, 12:26 PM EST
The Red Sox add their third starting pitcher in 24 hours.
Dec 11, 2014, 10:12 AM EST
Mike Leake? Mat Latos? It can’t be Cueto, can it?
Dec 10, 2014, 8:29 AM EST
The Cubs got better. The Red Sox’ job just got harder. Jon Lester got paid. Now what happens?
Dec 10, 2014, 1:34 AM EST
Lester will try to bring the North Side its first World Series victory since 1908.
Dec 9, 2014, 8:26 PM EST
This is the first time his name has been mentioned during the hot stove season.
Nov 12, 2014, 6:20 PM EST
In the least-surprising result of this award season, Dodgers ace Clayton Kershaw has been named the 2014 Cy Young Award winner in the National League by the Baseball Writers Association of America. It was a unanimous vote — the first since Tigers righty Justin Verlander won unanimously in 2011.
Nov 10, 2014, 6:52 AM EST
The groundwork for all that will happen this offseason begins today in Phoenix
Nov 7, 2014, 10:50 AM EST
Trades surprise people all the time, of course, but something to keep in mind amid all the rumors swirling.
Nov 6, 2014, 8:49 AM EST
It certainly would take a lot of “stuff.”
Nov 4, 2014, 6:02 PM EST
The Baseball Writers Association of America (BBWAA) is announcing the top three finalists for American League and National League Rookie of the Year, Manager of the Year, Cy Young, and Most Valuable Player during a one-hour special airing right now (6:00 p.m. ET) on MLB Network. We will post those names here as they are rolled out …
Oct 29, 2014, 4:46 PM EST
Expensive buyouts, too.
Oct 29, 2014, 2:44 PM EST
Cueto was amazing this season, leading the league in strikeouts (242) and innings (244) while posting a 2.25 ERA and holding opponents to a .192 batting average.
Sep 30, 2014, 2:30 PM EST
You know Kershaw is the Cy Young. Is he the MVP, too?
Sep 29, 2014, 6:47 AM EST
All good things must come to an end.
Sep 28, 2014, 4:35 PM EST
Johnny Cueto delivered eight innings of one-run ball and smacked a go-ahead RBI single in the bottom of the eighth as the Reds defeated the Pirates 4-1 on Sunday afternoon at Cincinnati’s Great American Ball Park, ousting Pittsburgh from the division race while allowing St. Louis to scratch ace right-hander Adam Wainwright from his scheduled start in Arizona.
Sep 28, 2014, 3:20 PM EST
A flu bug has been going around the Cardinals’ clubhouse for the past couple of weeks and it took ahold of Matt Holliday on Saturday night in Arizona, but he is back in the starting lineup for Sunday afternoon’s series finale versus the Diamondbacks.
Sep 28, 2014, 9:44 AM EST
There are still three undecided races heading into the final day of the regular season: the American League Central, the National League Central, and the second American League Wild Card spot. Let’s get weird.
Sep 27, 2014, 11:10 PM EST
The Pirates and Cardinals go into the final game of the season still vying for the NL Central title.
Sep 24, 2014, 7:08 AM EST
Andrew McCutchen and the Pirates light a victory cigar as they clinch their second straight playoff appearance.
Sep 17, 2014, 7:08 AM EST
Beer showers on the Beltway as the Nats and Orioles both clinch
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 276
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (276)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)