Apr 17, 2015, 9:11 PM EDT
Matt Carpenter made a cool maneuver to score the tying run in the bottom of the first against the Reds on Friday night.
Apr 10, 2015, 6:05 PM EDT
The Reds and Johnny Cueto didn’t match up on a contract extension, as the right-hander has some big numbers in mind.
Apr 7, 2015, 6:20 AM EDT
Opening Day — real Opening Day, not that phony baloney Sunday night rebop — happened yesterday.
Apr 1, 2015, 10:45 PM EDT
Johnny Cueto is due to become a free agent five days after the 2015 World Series and he has said that he will not allow in-season extension negotiations. So the countdown clock is on in Cincinnati’s front office, and it sure looks like time is going to run out.
Apr 1, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
The Phillies are going to be bad in 2015. But just how bad?
Mar 31, 2015, 11:02 PM EDT
Is the fun over in Cincy?
Mar 27, 2015, 6:05 PM EDT
It doesn’t seem like the Nationals and Jordan Zimmermann will reach an agreement on a contract extension before the regular season begins.
Mar 16, 2015, 9:20 AM EDT
My previous two days in the desert took me to a couple of cool places.
Feb 15, 2015, 7:10 PM EDT
The Reds would still like to sign Johnny Cueto to a contract extension, but he won’t negotiate beyond Opening Day.
Feb 10, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
Shields ultimately decided to play at home in San Diego, choosing the Padres’ four-year, $75 million offer.
Feb 6, 2015, 10:47 AM EDT
Cueto threw a league-leading 244 innings with a 2.25 ERA and league-high 242 strikeouts last season to finish runner-up in the Cy Young balloting to Clayton Kershaw.
Jan 7, 2015, 10:13 PM EDT
Johnny Cueto’s agent Bryce Dixon said last month that his client wouldn’t negotiate an extension with the Reds beyond Opening Day 2015. The right-hander is only 28 years old and has been one of the best starting pitchers in baseball for several seasons …
Dec 22, 2014, 9:32 PM EDT
Johnny Cueto is set to become a free agent next offseason, but the Reds have a small window of time to convince their ace to stick around for the long-term.
Dec 11, 2014, 12:26 PM EDT
The Red Sox add their third starting pitcher in 24 hours.
Dec 11, 2014, 10:12 AM EDT
Mike Leake? Mat Latos? It can’t be Cueto, can it?
Dec 10, 2014, 8:29 AM EDT
The Cubs got better. The Red Sox’ job just got harder. Jon Lester got paid. Now what happens?
Dec 10, 2014, 1:34 AM EDT
Lester will try to bring the North Side its first World Series victory since 1908.
Dec 9, 2014, 8:26 PM EDT
This is the first time his name has been mentioned during the hot stove season.
Nov 12, 2014, 6:20 PM EDT
In the least-surprising result of this award season, Dodgers ace Clayton Kershaw has been named the 2014 Cy Young Award winner in the National League by the Baseball Writers Association of America. It was a unanimous vote — the first since Tigers righty Justin Verlander won unanimously in 2011.
Nov 10, 2014, 6:52 AM EDT
The groundwork for all that will happen this offseason begins today in Phoenix
Nov 7, 2014, 10:50 AM EDT
Trades surprise people all the time, of course, but something to keep in mind amid all the rumors swirling.
Nov 6, 2014, 8:49 AM EDT
It certainly would take a lot of “stuff.”
Nov 4, 2014, 6:02 PM EDT
The Baseball Writers Association of America (BBWAA) is announcing the top three finalists for American League and National League Rookie of the Year, Manager of the Year, Cy Young, and Most Valuable Player during a one-hour special airing right now (6:00 p.m. ET) on MLB Network. We will post those names here as they are rolled out …
Oct 29, 2014, 4:46 PM EDT
Expensive buyouts, too.
Oct 29, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT
Cueto was amazing this season, leading the league in strikeouts (242) and innings (244) while posting a 2.25 ERA and holding opponents to a .192 batting average.
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 4
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 15
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 48
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 49
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)