Aug 18, 2014, 5:30 AM EDT
An ump show in Detroit couldn’t stop the Mariners’ momentum.
Jul 16, 2014, 11:33 AM EDT
This is so sad. It looked so healthy, too.
Jul 15, 2014, 11:32 PM EDT
A rocky start, a grooved pitch, a fond farewell and the granting of home field advantage in the World Series to the Junior Circuit.
Jul 11, 2014, 11:05 PM EDT
The AL Roster swaps one injured Tiger for a healthy one. Ian Kinsler will replace Victor Martinez.
Jul 6, 2014, 7:51 PM EDT
Find out who’s on the roster for each league in the All-Star Game at Target Field in Minnesota on July 15.
Jun 30, 2014, 4:05 PM EDT
No Altuve, no justice.
Jun 30, 2014, 6:23 AM EDT
Clayton Kershaw continues to dominate. And the Dodgers find themselves in a virtual tie for first place in the NL West.
Jun 29, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
Jose Altuve keeps on truckin’. He logged three more hits and stole two more bases in Sunday’s win over the Tigers.
Jun 28, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Jose Altuve is one reason why you should start paying attention to the Astros.
Jun 12, 2014, 11:52 PM EDT
Bad news for the Astros. MLB-hit leader Jose Altuve left Thursday’s game after he was hit on the right hand/wrist while squaring to bunt.
Jun 10, 2014, 6:28 AM EDT
Lonnie Chisenhall went 5 for 5 with 3 home runs and 9 RBI. Mercy.
Jun 6, 2014, 6:08 AM EDT
The Giants and Jays keep rolling merrily along. And Travis Wood [all together now] helps his own cause.
May 31, 2014, 7:40 PM EDT
The Astros were easily the unlikeliest team to go on a seven-game winning streak. Well, you’ll never guess what happened.
May 8, 2014, 4:05 PM EDT
Day baseball, man. Day baseball.
Apr 19, 2014, 3:24 AM EDT
Can’t someone please write these things down so we can all keep track?
Mar 26, 2014, 9:45 AM EDT
Between now and Opening Day, HardballTalk will take a look at each of baseball’s 30 teams, asking the key questions, the not-so-key questions, and generally breaking down their chances for the 2014 season. Next up: The Houston Astros. The Big Question: One hundred losses again, right? Depends on how long the Astros keep their prospects on…
Oct 19, 2013, 2:47 PM EDT
We’re not ready to fire up the hot stove quite yet, but CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman passes along this interesting nugget on a potential surprise suitor for impending free agent Shin-Soo Choo: The Houston Astros, whose lowest-in-baseball payroll of $25 million or thereabouts was a mere fraction of most teams, may consider making a run…
Sep 29, 2013, 9:00 PM EDT
The Yankees brought half a team to Houston, but that was enough to get a three-game sweep and conclude the Astros’ historic season with 15 straight losses. They’re the first team since the 1899 Cleveland Spiders to lose their final 15 games. The Astros ended up 51-111. They’re the 12th team since 1900 ever to…
Sep 16, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
The Roberto Clemente Award goes to the Major Leaguer who “best exemplifies the game of baseball, sportsmanship, community involvement and the individual’s contribution to his team.” Clayton Kershaw won it last year. The 2013 nominees — one per team — were just announced and are listed below. And now my annual complaint, albeit a minor one: Baseball has set…
Sep 1, 2013, 6:45 PM EDT
24-year-old rookie Brett Oberholtzer blanked the Mariners over nine innings this afternoon, becoming the first Astro to throw a complete game since Jordan Lyles on September 30 last year. Lyles was also the last to throw a shutout. Oberholtzer allowed just four hits and one walk while striking out five. Mariners starter Hisashi Iwakuma was…
Jul 23, 2013, 11:55 PM EDT
Before surrendering a game-tying, two-run home run to Matt Dominguez in the ninth inning of tonight’s loss, Athletics closer Grant Balfour had converted 44 consecutive saves dating back to early 2012, the sixth-longest such streak in baseball history, according to ESPN Stats & Info. Balfour’s last blown save occurred on April 29 against the Orioles,…
Jul 13, 2013, 11:25 AM EDT
The Astros have successfully locked up a potential long-term building block, as Brian McTaggart of MLB.com reports that they have agreed to a contract extension with second baseman Jose Altuve. This marks the first major contract commitment under the leadership of general manager Jeff Luhnow, who was hired in December of 2011. No word yet…
Jul 2, 2013, 5:06 PM EDT
Fan voting ends Thursday. Here are the results through yesterday for both leagues as we hit the home stretch: AMERICAN LEAGUE FIRST BASE 1. Chris Davis, Orioles, 5,468,703 2. Prince Fielder, Tigers, 3,280,681 3. Albert Pujols, Angels, 1,140,420 4. Mike Napoli, Red Sox, 1,123,281 5. Mitch Moreland, Rangers, 1,007,675 SECOND BASE 1. Robinson Cano, Yankees,…
Jun 7, 2013, 4:08 PM EDT
- Now the Astros are showing some sabermetric roots, going with Vanderbilt teammates in the fourth and fifth rounds. First baseman Conrad Gregor hit .314/.443/.418 with 53 walks in 220 at-bats this year, while second baseman Tony Kemp came in at .398/.480/.496 with 35 walks in 256 at-bats. The two had three homers between them,…
Jun 6, 2013, 6:57 AM EDT
Rockies 12, Reds 4: The Colorado Wrecking Crew: Carlos Gonzalez hit three home runs and drove in six. Troy Tulowitzki hit two of his own. Pedro Villarreal had no idea what hit him. White Sox 7, Mariners 5: You figure if you score five runs in the top of an extra inning that you’re gonna…
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 19
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 41
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 32
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 23
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)