Aug 1, 2014, 7:59 PM EST
The Brewers have scratched rookie right-hander Jimmy Nelson from Saturday’s start, but it mostly looks like a convenient excuse to manipulate their rotation this weekend.
Aug 1, 2014, 4:16 PM EST
Carlos Martinez is no longer needed in St. Louis’ rotation following trades for Justin Masterson and John Lackey, but rather than shifting him back to the bullpen the Cardinals have decided to send the 22-year-old right-hander to Triple-A.
Jul 31, 2014, 10:12 PM EST
Keeping score in the aftermath of Thursday’s deadline deals.
Jul 31, 2014, 4:15 PM EST
Recapping all of Thursday’s dealings in one spot.
Jul 31, 2014, 1:00 PM EST
Not satisfied with adding Justin Masterson to the rotation yesterday, the Cardinals have added another veteran starter by acquiring John Lackey from the Red Sox. And, much like Boston’s deal to get Yoenis Cespedes from Oakland for Jon Lester, the Red Sox have prioritized the present by getting veterans Allen Craig and Joe Kelly in exchange.
Jul 31, 2014, 9:16 AM EST
It was quite a tribute to Greg Maddux, actually.
Jul 31, 2014, 8:10 AM EST
The State of the Trade Deadline, eight hours before the music stops.
Jul 30, 2014, 6:49 PM EST
Oscar Taveras has been mentioned as a possible centerpiece in trade talks this week for top-tier starting pitchers like David Price and Jon Lester, but if Cardinals general manager John Mozeliak is to be believed that was all speculation from the outside.
Jul 30, 2014, 2:25 PM EST
Cleveland turned down Justin Masterson’s attempted contract extension offer back in spring training–balking at what seemed to be reasonable terms at the time–and now the Indians are trading the impending free agent to the Cardinals, according to Peter Gammons of MLB.com.
Jul 28, 2014, 6:17 PM EST
An impending free agent, Justin Masterson owns a disappointing 5.51 ERA over 18 starts this season and is currently on the disabled list with right knee inflammation.
Jul 26, 2014, 10:30 PM EST
The middling Indians hope to get a boost, as starter Justin Masterson is expected to return on Friday to take on the Rangers.
Jul 22, 2014, 3:15 PM EST
Justin Masterson tossed five innings in a minor-league rehab start Sunday, but rather than welcoming him back from the disabled list the Indians will have the right-hander make another rehab start.
Jul 18, 2014, 10:40 AM EST
Bud Black is considering her to bat cleanup, too.
Jul 8, 2014, 12:46 PM EST
Maybe the Indians knew something when they balked at Justin Masterson’s seemingly reasonable contract extension demands.
Jun 29, 2014, 1:21 PM EST
Justin Masterson had to be scratched from his last turn in the Indians’ starting rotation because of soreness in his right knee — something that has bothered him off and on throughout this season. But he threw a successful bullpen session Saturday and has been cleared to start Tuesday at home against the Dodgers.
Jun 27, 2014, 11:51 AM EST
The ongoing knee injury may help explain why the Indians have been so hesitant to sign Masterson to a contract extension at what were reported to be very reasonable demands, and perhaps it’s also why Masterson’s demands have been so reasonable with free agency right around the corner.
Jun 25, 2014, 8:53 PM EST
From Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer comes word that Indians right-hander Justin Masterson has been scratched from his next scheduled start Sunday against the Mariners because of lingering soreness in his right knee.
Jun 5, 2014, 9:20 AM EST
For the second day in a row, a big league pitcher tosses a flawless inning.
Jun 4, 2014, 6:40 AM EST
Henderson Alvarez has three shutouts. Three shutouts was enough to be the full-season leader in that category in five of the past 11 seasons.
Jun 3, 2014, 2:45 PM EST
It doesn’t get any better than what Justin Masterson did in the fourth inning.
Jun 3, 2014, 6:39 AM EST
Jose Abreu is back, Clayton Kershaw withstood his return and I made a sobering discovery about “Billy Madison.”
Apr 12, 2014, 9:10 PM EST
One of the elements helped Jason Kipnis get a single on Saturday afternoon.
Apr 11, 2014, 10:55 PM EST
The Twins will lose their power-hitting outfielder for at least a week due to a wrist injury.
Apr 1, 2014, 5:50 AM EST
Does winning on Opening Day mean anything? I dunno, ask Oakland and Seattle.
Apr 1, 2014, 1:45 AM EST
Billy Beane’s %*$@ doesn’t work on Opening Day.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 267
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (270)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)