Feb 27, 2015, 10:55 PM EST
Eury Perez is the early favorite to take over in center field while Melvin Upton recovers from a foot injury.
Matt Kemp thinks the Padres have the best outfield in baseball. I don’t think he’s right about that.
Feb 26, 2015, 7:32 AM EST
He’s forgetting, it seems, that outfields also play defense.
Feb 25, 2015, 10:47 AM EST
Quentin is still on the roster and under contract for $8 million, but San Diego added Justin Upton Matt Kemp, and Wil Myers in high-profile trades.
Feb 10, 2015, 2:22 PM EST
Cerrano: “Maps for bats. Keep bats from getting lost.”
Feb 9, 2015, 9:00 AM EST
Padres fans have never had a ton to get excited about. That has changed this winter.
Feb 9, 2015, 2:12 AM EST
The Padres have reportedly signed starter James Shields to a four-year deal in the $72-76 million range.
Feb 7, 2015, 5:07 PM EST
Is the James Shields saga finally reaching a conclusion?
Feb 1, 2015, 8:25 PM EST
The Padres began their overhaul shortly after signing Clint Barmes to a one-year deal. He wasn’t quite expecting to be on a team expected to seriously contend with the Dodgers in the NL West.
Jan 31, 2015, 9:00 PM EST
The Braves may have pawned off many of their productive players, but Freddie Freeman still thinks they’ll compete in 2015.
Jan 22, 2015, 8:36 PM EST
Gomes will likely be used as part of a left field platoon with Atlanta.
Jan 20, 2015, 9:27 PM EST
MLB.com beat writer Mark Bowman reports that the Braves are in pursuit of free agent Jonny Gomes as a potential left-field platoon mate with Zolio Almonte.
John Hart on the Braves: “We may not be the prettiest girl at the dance, but we’re going to be a lot of fun to dance with”
Jan 16, 2015, 8:50 AM EST
FanGraphs currently projects the Braves to have MLB’s second-worst record in 2015.
Jan 14, 2015, 1:40 PM EST
American League teams seem the most interested.
Jan 11, 2015, 11:50 PM EST
Ichiro Suzuki, Nate Schierholtz, Andy Dirks, and Will Venable top the Marlins’ list of fourth-outfielder candidates.
Jan 1, 2015, 12:08 PM EST
Seth Smith could read the writing on the wall after the Padres traded for Matt Kemp, Wil Myers, and Justin Upton.
Dec 30, 2014, 6:21 PM EST
It was reported as close to happening a few hours ago and now ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick says it’s done: Seth Smith, 32-year-old Padres outfielder, has been traded to the Mariners in a straight swap for 24-year-old right-handed reliever Brandon Maurer.
Dec 24, 2014, 10:15 AM EST
San Diego has outfielders to spare.
Dec 22, 2014, 11:00 PM EST
This means the Padres will only have to pay Kemp $3 million next season.
Dec 21, 2014, 11:10 PM EST
Wil Myers was rumored to be a potential target for the Phillies in a trade involving Cole Hamels, but it turns out the Padres plan to hang on to him.
Dec 21, 2014, 1:35 PM EST
If the Padres want to keep Justin Upton around beyond 2015, they’ll have to hammer out a contract extension before spring training begins.
Dec 19, 2014, 8:15 PM EST
The Padres’ outfield should hit a lot of homers in 2015, but they may give back a lot of those runs on defense.
Dec 19, 2014, 1:30 PM EST
The Padres have made a flurry of moves in the past few days. It may help them win some more baseball games. But it will undeniably fire up a fan base that has had nothing to get excited about for years.
Dec 19, 2014, 11:31 AM EST
File this under “wild speculation” but it makes all kinds of sense.
Dec 19, 2014, 9:43 AM EST
The Padres have gone crazy this week. The latest: acquiring Justin Upton and his big bat for a couple of prospects.
Dec 15, 2014, 9:14 AM EST
Even with him and Matt Kemp, though, the Padres would still have a lot of holes.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 29
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 283
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 50
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 67
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (283)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)