Feb 22, 2015, 7:42 PM EST
Mat Latos thinks a veteran presence can tie a young team together and pointed to the 2012 and ’13 Reds teams as examples.
Feb 21, 2015, 9:45 PM EST
As usual, teams in general won at a slightly better rate than players in arbitration hearings. 2014 saw the most arbitration hearings since 2001.
Feb 20, 2015, 4:50 PM EST
If Latos invites you to a cookout: say no.
Feb 10, 2015, 10:15 AM EST
Shields ultimately decided to play at home in San Diego, choosing the Padres’ four-year, $75 million offer.
Feb 5, 2015, 12:16 PM EST
That means Latos will make $9.4 million in his final season before free agency, rather than the $10.4 million he requested.
Jan 16, 2015, 9:58 PM EST
Find out what salaries arbitration-eligible players and their respective teams filed for ahead of Friday’s deadline.
Dec 31, 2014, 2:00 PM EST
The Reds get a left fielder. The Phillies unload at least part of a contract.
Dec 12, 2014, 6:00 AM EST
The past view days were . . . intense. But here is a quick and handy guide to everything that went down.
Dec 11, 2014, 11:01 AM EST
Latos will be a free agent next offseason and is coming off an injury wrecked year.
Dec 11, 2014, 10:12 AM EST
Mike Leake? Mat Latos? It can’t be Cueto, can it?
Dec 9, 2014, 8:26 PM EST
This is the first time his name has been mentioned during the hot stove season.
Nov 7, 2014, 10:50 AM EST
Trades surprise people all the time, of course, but something to keep in mind amid all the rumors swirling.
Sep 22, 2014, 11:44 AM EST
The whole year?!!! *someone whispers in my ear that there’s only a week left* Oh, in that case.
Sep 14, 2014, 11:51 AM EST
Reds right-hander Mat Latos was scratched from his scheduled start Friday against the Brewers due to a bone bruise in his pitching elbow. It’s not believed to be a serious injury, but the regular season is over in two weeks and Cincinnati enters play Sunday with a record of 71-78. So there’s no reason to push it.
Sep 12, 2014, 3:25 PM EST
Right-hander Daniel Corcino, who has appeared in just two games as a reliever since making his MLB debut in late August, will start in Latos’ place against the Brewers.
Sep 3, 2014, 6:54 AM EST
Does anyone want to win the second wild card in the National League?
Aug 28, 2014, 6:55 AM EST
Every fifth day I wake up in the morning and see another impressive Clayton Kershaw pitching line.
Aug 22, 2014, 9:17 PM EST
Mike Minor is on point in Cincinnati against the Reds on Friday night.
Aug 13, 2014, 11:19 AM EST
The last Red Sox pitcher to steal a base? Bill Landis on September 8, 1969.
Aug 7, 2014, 6:53 AM EST
Joe Kelly gave his old mates fits. Well, maybe he gave them fits before too. Maybe they weren’t his mates. Maybe there were long-simmering disputes between him and the Cardinals about politics and religion and things. We can’t know!
Jul 31, 2014, 10:12 PM EST
Keeping score in the aftermath of Thursday’s deadline deals.
Jul 1, 2014, 6:34 AM EST
Every ten years or so, the Tigers get a walkoff grand slam. Like, every ten years or so, basically to the week.
Jun 26, 2014, 6:53 AM EST
Tim Lincecum’s no-hitter reminded me of something.
Jun 19, 2014, 10:15 AM EST
Padres first baseman Yonder Alonso has been out since Monday with a sore right wrist and Bernie Wilson of the Associated Press reports that he’ll be placed on the disabled list.
Jun 15, 2014, 9:35 AM EST
Reds right-hander Mat Latos finally made his 2014 season debut on Saturday evening. And it was good.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 303
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (303)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)