Dec 9, 2014, 1:32 PM EST
Liriano was a buy-low pickup for the Pirates two offseasons ago and provided a huge return on a minimal investment.
Nov 19, 2014, 2:14 PM EST
Liriano started 55 games for Pittsburgh with a 3.20 ERA and 338 strikeouts in 323 innings.
Sep 25, 2014, 5:50 PM EST
Garza is in the first season of a four-year, $50 million contract.
Sep 21, 2014, 10:00 AM EST
He said it rather than tweeted it. Which is sad, because I had good money on it coming out “your just an idiot” if he had tweeted it.
Sep 20, 2014, 9:19 PM EST
Matt Garza doesn’t hit many batters, but the right-hander managed to hit Andrew McCutchen twice in his start on Saturday.
Sep 11, 2014, 9:32 PM EST
Alex Cobb went 7 1/3 innings Thursday before allowing his first hit against the Yankees.
Sep 1, 2014, 10:51 AM EST
The Brewers are tied for first place and need a boost.
Aug 30, 2014, 11:45 PM EST
The Brewers will get Matt Garza back in the rotation on Wednesday, when they’ll take on the Cubs at Wrigley Field.
Aug 25, 2014, 5:00 AM EST
The Yankees are, in my view anyway, unlikely to make the playoffs. Yet they refuse, Rasputin-like, to die.
Aug 18, 2014, 9:09 PM EST
Doug Fister was a perfectly useful pitcher for Detroit, but he didn’t show up on the radar gun. Now, Fister is leading the National not the playoffs while the Tigers are fighting to stay alive.
Aug 16, 2014, 12:16 PM EST
Kyle Lohse left his start against the Cubs on Wednesday after he aggravated a right ankle sprain and the Brewers will skip his next turn in the rotation in order to give him some rest.
Aug 5, 2014, 2:14 PM EST
Garza was cruising along through six shutout, one-hit innings on just 71 pitches when he got hurt and given the nature of oblique strain recovery timetables he’s unlikely to pitch again before September.
Aug 4, 2014, 5:00 AM EST
The Tribe walks off against Texas, MadBum was dominant and V-Mart goes yard again. Note: if you were not a baseball fan, you would have no idea what any of the stuff in the previous sentence meant. It’s just barely English, yet we all get it. Cool, huh?
Aug 3, 2014, 6:35 PM EST
Matt Garza dominated the Cardinals on Sunday, but left after six innings due to an oblique injury.
Aug 1, 2014, 7:59 PM EST
The Brewers have scratched rookie right-hander Jimmy Nelson from Saturday’s start, but it mostly looks like a convenient excuse to manipulate their rotation this weekend.
Jul 25, 2014, 6:47 AM EST
It was a day of blowouts and fine pitching performances.
Jul 11, 2014, 6:55 AM EST
The scoreless streak is over for Clayton Kershaw, but the dominance remains.
Jul 10, 2014, 6:35 PM EST
The Cardinals and Reds were both dealt some tough blows on the injury front today, but the Brewers are doing their part to let them hang around in the National League Central.
Jul 5, 2014, 3:20 PM EST
Darwin Barney is feeling a little lonely in the Cubs’ clubhouse these days.
Jun 20, 2014, 11:19 AM EST
Scott Kazmir finished last season very strong with a 2.57 ERA and 43/4 K/BB ratio in five September starts and pitched well overall for the Indians, but when it came time to cash in as a free agent teams proved skeptical about his career being back on track after he fell all the way down to independent ball.
Jun 3, 2014, 6:39 AM EST
Jose Abreu is back, Clayton Kershaw withstood his return and I made a sobering discovery about “Billy Madison.”
May 20, 2014, 12:16 PM EST
The urban legend had Theo Epstein destroying a hotel room after he found out Jose Contreras decided on the New York Yankees.
May 16, 2014, 1:13 PM EST
How much longer will Jeff Samardzija and Jason Hammel be in Chicago?
May 9, 2014, 11:40 PM EST
Yu Darvish once again fell one out shy of a no-hitter on Friday night. He doesn’t need one to prove he’s one of the very best pitchers in baseball.
May 6, 2014, 10:47 AM EST
Doug Fister still hasn’t pitched for the Nationals, but he did turn down a long-term contract extension.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 65
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 31
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 21
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 15
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)