Aug 18, 2014, 9:09 PM EDT
Doug Fister was a perfectly useful pitcher for Detroit, but he didn’t show up on the radar gun. Now, Fister is leading the National not the playoffs while the Tigers are fighting to stay alive.
Aug 15, 2014, 7:05 AM EDT
Striking out 14 guys and/or scoring seven runs: strongly correlated with winning games.
Aug 9, 2014, 4:26 PM EDT
Casey Janssen blew a save for the Blue Jays last night. Today it was Joe Nathan’s turn.
Aug 8, 2014, 12:03 PM EDT
For what it says about the Cubs, not what it says about the Phillies or Cole Hamels.
Aug 7, 2014, 6:13 PM EDT
That’s right, Wily Peralta.
Aug 4, 2014, 8:57 PM EDT
It doesn’t get much better than this.
Aug 1, 2014, 9:24 AM EDT
He’s probably the fifth starter on this Tigers team at the moment. So why not?
Jul 31, 2014, 10:12 PM EDT
Keeping score in the aftermath of Thursday’s deadline deals.
Jul 31, 2014, 4:15 PM EDT
Recapping all of Thursday’s dealings in one spot.
Jul 31, 2014, 3:55 PM EDT
With Price in town, a guy who one the AL MVP and Cy Young Award a couple of years ago is now the TIgers fourth starter.
Jul 25, 2014, 6:47 AM EDT
It was a day of blowouts and fine pitching performances.
Jul 16, 2014, 11:02 PM EDT
Bill Shaikin of the LA Times wrote Wednesday morning that the Angels “long have known they do not have the elite prospects necessary to acquire” ace left-hander David Price from the Rays. And that weak farm system could also mean that another known Angels target will slip through the cracks.
Jul 10, 2014, 7:09 AM EDT
A handful of injuries went down last night, but so too did strict adherence to the Restoring Pitching Act of 2013.
Jul 6, 2014, 7:51 PM EDT
Find out who’s on the roster for each league in the All-Star Game at Target Field in Minnesota on July 15.
Jun 28, 2014, 4:40 PM EDT
Dallas Keuchel wasn’t able to make Saturday’s start against the Tigers due to left wrist inflammation, but he hopes to be back for his next start.
Jun 18, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
For a minute, it’s 1985, and the Royals are in first place. Savor this moment.
Jun 13, 2014, 6:47 AM EDT
I took the kids to the Dodgers-Reds game and they saw Yasiel Puig flop about three feet from the second base bag on a caught stealing. Still: beats working.
Jun 8, 2014, 9:49 PM EDT
Max Scherzer rejected a $144 million contract extension from the Tigers this spring, but he took out an insurance policy in case he suffers an injury in his walk year.
Jun 4, 2014, 3:02 PM EDT
In other news, people still do crosswords.
May 28, 2014, 6:48 AM EDT
Eight wins in a row have the Blue Jays jumping for joy.
May 17, 2014, 7:00 AM EDT
Six shutouts last night. Two of the pitcher variety. Where has all the offense gone?
May 14, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
Dillon Gee’s remarkable run dating back to last season will be put on hold, as the Mets have placed the right-hander on the disabled list with a strained lat muscle.
May 10, 2014, 11:35 AM EDT
Joe Mauer is back in the Twins’ lineup after missing five straight games.
May 6, 2014, 6:40 AM EDT
Four shutouts headlined Monday night’s action
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 9
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 1
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 30
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Numbers game: Tigers fall victim to baseball’s speed obsession 45
- Twins prospect Byron Buxton done for season after concussion 3
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. 74
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)