Dec 9, 2014, 10:26 PM EST
The market for Scherzer has been pretty quiet at this week’s Winter Meetings so far, but things will likely heat up once Jon Lester is off the board.
Dec 9, 2014, 7:49 PM EST
It was reported earlier today that the Tigers “are prepared to spend big, big dollars” to re-sign right-hander Max Scherzer, but general manager Dave Dombrowski is singing a very different tune.
Dec 9, 2014, 7:25 PM EST
Hamels would be a perfectly suitable “Plan B” for the Red Sox or Cubs if they miss out on Jon Lester.
Dec 9, 2014, 2:45 PM EST
Good news for Scherzer’s agent.
Dec 8, 2014, 6:00 AM EST
HardballTalk is on the scene in San Diego for baseball’s annual free agent and trade bacchanalia.
Dec 7, 2014, 11:35 PM EST
The Nationals will make another attempt to lock Jordan Zimmermann up long-term.
Dec 7, 2014, 3:29 PM EST
CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman is hearing from rival MLB general managers that the Angels are making left-handed starter C.J. Wilson available for a trade ahead of this week’s Winter Meetings in San Diego.
Dec 7, 2014, 11:21 AM EST
Scherzer, a Scott Boras client, is a bit younger than Lester and will probably command a slightly bigger contract. The righty is expected to wait until the tail end of the offseason to settle on a team.
Dec 5, 2014, 9:20 PM EST
Need some pitching? The Marlins have a lot of it and are willing to use a pitcher or two to address other areas of need.
Dec 5, 2014, 11:08 AM EST
It’s not just The Man who Would Replace Derek Jeter in this deal. But let’s talk about that for a second too.
Dec 4, 2014, 7:22 AM EST
He has an opt-out after 2015.
Nov 29, 2014, 12:55 PM EST
Busy days for Billy Beane.
Nov 25, 2014, 10:12 PM EST
Max Scherzer, a client of Scott Boras, seems comfortable with slow-playing this market. We’ve seen loads of rumors and reports involving the other prominent free agent ace, Jon Lester, but it’s hard to identify which teams are in the running at the moment for Max. The Giants may be one …
Nov 24, 2014, 9:20 PM EST
The Phillies have another potential suitor for Cole Hamels, as the Dodgers have joined the Red Sox in the mix.
Nov 24, 2014, 8:57 AM EST
It’s easy to say “it didn’t work before, so it won’t work this time,” but doing so is to misread the current situation with the Boston Red Sox.
Nov 21, 2014, 10:47 AM EST
Pittsburgh has done great work recently turning around the careers of pitchers.
Nov 20, 2014, 12:14 PM EST
Zimmermann has just one season remaining until he’s eligible for free agency and the 28-year-old right-hander is in line for a massive payday.
Nov 20, 2014, 10:45 AM EST
For now at least there doesn’t seem to be a clear front-runner.
Nov 17, 2014, 10:15 AM EST
“We’ll just wait and see what happens.”
Nov 12, 2014, 5:02 PM EST
And you drive the Bluesmobile until it falls apart.
Nov 10, 2014, 5:33 PM EST
Nov 10, 2014, 9:45 AM EST
Will David Robertson accept his to stay with the Yankees? Will anyone?
Nov 8, 2014, 8:40 PM EST
The Yankees want to bring Brandon McCarthy back, but the right-hander will wait for the market to play out before making a decision.
Nov 5, 2014, 4:24 PM EST
The Phillies are rebuilding. But it would be unexpected if they dealt their ace.
Nov 5, 2014, 10:47 AM EST
Led by Justin Verlander at $28 million.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (373)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)