Feb 25, 2015, 10:15 AM EST
Two-time All-Star was signed to fill a part-time role.
Feb 21, 2015, 9:45 PM EST
As usual, teams in general won at a slightly better rate than players in arbitration hearings. 2014 saw the most arbitration hearings since 2001.
Feb 19, 2015, 3:02 PM EST
The Dbacks’ 1B-OF will make $6.9 million in 2015.
Feb 19, 2015, 2:19 PM EST
He’ll be paid $5.75 million this season compared to the team’s $5.25 million counter.
Jan 16, 2015, 9:58 PM EST
Find out what salaries arbitration-eligible players and their respective teams filed for ahead of Friday’s deadline.
Jan 13, 2015, 8:40 AM EST
The Pirates’ brass is being pretty diplomatic about it, but you have to figure they’d like to see him there.
Dec 19, 2014, 2:14 PM EST
Hart was one of the best right-handed power hitters in baseball for the Brewers from 2010-2012.
Dec 13, 2014, 7:20 PM EST
Tony Sanchez will add versatility to his resume as he’s expected to play some first base in 2015.
Dec 1, 2014, 10:47 AM EST
Pittsburgh may have just switched platoon partners for Pedro Alvarez.
Nov 21, 2014, 11:20 AM EST
Throwing problems forced a move away from third base.
Nov 13, 2014, 10:47 AM EST
Pittsburgh looks set to go with Pedro Alvarez at first base.
Oct 18, 2014, 11:19 AM EST
Ike Davis was traded from the Mets to the Pirates in April, but he could soon be on the move again.
Oct 1, 2014, 11:54 PM EST
After Wednesday’s 8-0 loss, it’s time for the Pirates to start thinking about next year.
Sep 10, 2014, 5:47 PM EST
Healthy or not his role was in question after throwing problems got him benched at third base.
Sep 8, 2014, 10:47 AM EST
Pedro Alvarez’s throwing problems caused the Pirates to stop playing him at third base and now a foot injury is keeping him from playing, period.
Sep 3, 2014, 7:15 PM EST
Victor Martinez continued his fantastic season with a great August showing, while Josh Harrison allowed the Pirates to weather the loss of reigning NL MVP Andrew McCutchen.
Aug 18, 2014, 6:22 PM EST
After 584 games in the majors, Pedro Alvarez is going to try something new.
Aug 9, 2014, 11:55 PM EST
Pedro Alvarez seems to be okay with potentially moving across the diamond to first base. He has taken fielding practice there over the last two days.
Aug 5, 2014, 6:23 PM EST
Starling Marte is back on the Pirates’ active roster after missing close to two weeks with a concussion. Pedro Alvarez was placed on the bereavement list in a corresponding roster move.
Aug 3, 2014, 7:30 PM EST
For now, Pedro Alvarez won’t be switching positions, but he is no longer the team’s everyday third baseman.
Aug 3, 2014, 10:41 AM EST
A change could come after Alvarez committed his major league-high 24th error on Saturday.
Jul 30, 2014, 1:13 PM EST
Earlier this week Pirates manager Clint Hurdle talked about looking into the “mental component” of Pedro Alvarez’s throwing problems in an effort to get the third baseman back on track defensively. And now Alvarez is out of the lineup for a second straight day despite being healthy.
Jul 29, 2014, 2:19 PM EST
Pirates third baseman Pedro Alvarez’s throwing issues have gotten so bad–including an MLB-leading 21 of his 23 errors on throws–that Jenn Menendez of the Pittsburgh Post Gazette reports the team is starting to look into “the mental component to find the root of the problem.”
Jun 30, 2014, 6:23 AM EST
Clayton Kershaw continues to dominate. And the Dodgers find themselves in a virtual tie for first place in the NL West.
Jun 24, 2014, 6:44 AM EST
Two guys had multiple homer games last night. Four teams got shutout. Just another night in the all-or-nothing age of Major League Baseball
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 267
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (267)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)