Jul 4, 2015, 9:07 PM EDT
The Twins added some bullpen depth in signing Scott Atchison to a minor league deal.
Sep 22, 2014, 6:43 PM EDT
The Royals made it interesting, but the Indians hung on for a 4-3 victory.
Aug 19, 2014, 12:40 PM EDT
A small move for the Indians, but a nice move all the same.
Jun 7, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
The Indians’ closer-by-committee has been working well, but manager Terry Francona wants John Axford to take over the closer’s role eventually.
May 10, 2014, 7:45 PM EDT
The Indians removed the struggling John Axford out of his role as the team’s closer, and will go with a closer-by-committee for the time being.
Jan 6, 2014, 5:17 PM EDT
Cleveland has agreed to a minor-league contract with 37-year-old reliever Scott Atchison, who spent last season with the Mets. Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that Atchison will get an invitation to spring training after throwing 45 innings with a 4.37 ERA and 28/12 K/BB ratio last year. He hasn’t been very durable…
Dec 2, 2013, 11:30 PM EDT
We’ll be writing up the non-tenders as they come in prior to Monday’s midnight deadline. These players immediately become free agents. AMERICAN LEAGUE Angels – RHP Juan Gutierrez, RHP Tommy Hanson, INF Chris Nelson, RHP Jerome Williams All of these were expected. Hanson and Williams would have cost upwards of $4 million apiece. Williams is…
Aug 25, 2013, 7:55 PM EDT
Tigers third baseman Miguel Cabrera homered again as he continues to inch closer to the AL home run lead, and subsequently another Triple Crown. The homer, a two-run shot off of Mets starter Dillon Gee in the first inning this afternoon, marked #42 on the season, leaving him four shy of Orioles first baseman Chris…
Mar 29, 2013, 3:45 PM EDT
Scott Rice was a first-round pick way back in 1999, going 44th overall to the Orioles out of high school. He spent the next 14 years playing in the minors, including multiple stints in independent leagues. And now he’s headed to the big leagues for the first time. Rice has secured an Opening Day spot…
Feb 6, 2013, 3:27 PM EDT
Your move, Scott Boras: In addition to signing RH relievers Scott Atchison & LaTroy Hawkins to minors deals, #Mets also inked OFs Corey Patterson & Mike Wilson — Matt Eddy (@eddymk) February 6, 2013 Corey Patterson did not play in the bigs last year. He did play 117 games for the Brewers’ Triple-A team…
Jan 29, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
Scott Atchison was non-tendered by the Red Sox in November and then turned down a chance to re-sign on a minor-league contract, believing he deserved better after posting a 3.18 ERA in 142 innings for Boston during the past three years. Instead the 37-year-old reliever has simply accepted a minor-league deal with a different team,…
Dec 1, 2012, 12:30 AM EDT
Here’s the official list of Friday’s non-tenders: American League Angels: none Athletics: OF Jermaine Mitchell Mitchell had already been designated for assignment. He had a breakthrough 2011 in Triple-A, hitting .302/.401/.453, but he regressed to .252/.345/.386 for Sacramento last season. Astros: none Blue Jays: C Bobby Wilson Wilson is minor league contract material. The 29-year-old…
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 21
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)