Jul 21, 2014, 10:47 AM EDT
Roark was drafted in the 25th round by the Rangers in 2008 and came to the Nationals in the mid-2010 trade for Cristian Guzman. He never cracked anyone’s top-100 prospect list and didn’t even debut in the majors until age 26 last season after posting an underwhelming 4.04 ERA in the minors.
May 27, 2014, 11:50 AM EDT
All season the theory has been that once the Nats get their guys back, the offense will start clicking. But when, exactly, will that happen?
Apr 12, 2014, 12:10 AM EDT
Ryan Zimmerman cheated death and still got two outs.
Apr 4, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Nationals right-hander Jordan Zimmermann, who was scratched from yesterday’s start with what the team called flu-like symptoms, is recovered enough to start today against the Braves.
Apr 3, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Nationals right-hander Jordan Zimmermann has been scratched from today’s start against the Mets with what the team is calling flu-like symptoms.
Apr 2, 2014, 7:08 PM EDT
According to Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington.com, Doug Fister is expected to resume throwing on Thursday — first with light tosses from 60 feet on flat ground before eventually moving on to bullpen sessions. He is on his way back from lat and elbow injuries.
Mar 28, 2014, 3:20 PM EDT
Nationals right-hander Doug Fister dealt with elbow problems early in spring training and then, just when he was over them and getting ready to start the season healthy, he suffered a strained lat muscle in yesterday’s game. William Ladson of MLB.com reports that Fister will be placed on the disabled list to begin the season,…
Mar 17, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
In one of his first personnel decisions as Nationals manager Matt Williams has decided to shift left-hander Ross Detwiler to the bullpen full time, leaving Taylor Jordan and Tanner Roark to compete for the final spot in the starting rotation. Williams told Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington.com that Detwiler was “not happy” about the decision “but…
Feb 16, 2014, 10:30 PM EDT
Danny Espinosa didn’t exactly have a great 2013 season. Due largely to playing with a fractured wrist, Espinosa posted a .465 OPS, resulting in a stint on the disabled list and a demotion to Triple-A Syracuse. Anthony Rendon took over and was more or less average offensively with some hiccups on defense. Nonetheless, an upgrade.…
Feb 5, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
I’ll be dipping into my Rotoworld player projections from time to time for HBT posts. Here’s the first of this year: my ranking of each five-man rotation as we head into 2014. Before actually posting my 1-30, I’ll start with my raw ERA rankings by league. A couple of qualifications: I’m only using the top…
Sep 18, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
As the Nationals’ cling to their playoff lives with a dramatic late-season run an unheralded 26-year-old rookie is piling up victories. Tanner Roark, a former 25th-round pick acquired from the Rangers for Cristian Guzman in mid-2010 who didn’t make his big-league debut until last month, tossed seven shutout innings against the Braves last night to…
Sep 13, 2013, 7:23 AM EDT
Indians 14, White Sox 3: Ryan Raburn went 3 for 3 with a homer and five RBI. The Tribe put up a seven spot in the fifth inning in which the first nine batters who came to the plate reached. They keep pace with the Rays, who also won, and remain one and a half games…
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 7
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 89
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (108)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)