Oct 22, 2014, 9:03 PM EDT
Major League Baseball announced in April that two new regular-season awards would be handed out every year, going to the top reliever in each league. The NL’s award was named after Trevor Hoffman and the AL’s was named after Mariano Rivera. Here, via MLB’s Twitter account, are the first recipients …
Oct 22, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
I think that constitutes more than 15%.
Oct 22, 2014, 9:35 AM EDT
Giants, Hunter Pence bring down the house in Kansas City. It may be a sign of things to come.
Oct 21, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
Joe Posnanski looks at where they came from and just how dominant they’ve been.
Oct 21, 2014, 9:29 AM EDT
If anyone tells you they know what’s going to happen in the next week they’re lying to you. But let’s try to break this thing down all the same.
Oct 16, 2014, 1:38 PM EDT
The Royals are winners again. That word Buck loathed, that word “unbelievable,” lost some ground.
Oct 15, 2014, 10:28 PM EDT
Ned Yost’s team is going to the World Series. Ned Yost’s team. Ned Yost…
Oct 15, 2014, 8:58 PM EDT
Classy gesture from Rays outfielder Wil Myers, who was once a premier Royals prospect …
Oct 15, 2014, 7:20 PM EDT
They swept the 98-win Angels and they swept the 96-win Orioles.
Oct 15, 2014, 12:38 AM EDT
Four-game winning streaks happen all of the time, right?
Oct 14, 2014, 11:06 PM EDT
The Royals — who hadn’t made a playoff appearance in 29 years and had to make it through the American League Wild Card Game this year — are now just one win away from advancing to the World Series.
Oct 11, 2014, 7:53 PM EDT
Game 2 of the ALCS is tied up at four apiece going into the ninth inning.
Oct 11, 2014, 12:34 AM EDT
Alex Gordon and Mike Moustakas both homered in the top of the 10th inning, giving the Royals a three-run lead as they attempt to take Game 1 of the ALCS from the Orioles.
Oct 11, 2014, 12:11 AM EDT
The Royals loaded the bases with no outs in the top of the ninth and couldn’t push across a run to break a 5-5 tie in Game 1 of the ALCS against the Orioles.
Oct 6, 2014, 12:51 AM EDT
Some thoughts on the Royals’ plans as they get ready to battle the Orioles.
Oct 5, 2014, 11:18 PM EDT
The Royals have swept the Angels out of the playoffs. They’ll move on to face the Orioles in the ALCS.
Oct 4, 2014, 1:41 AM EDT
Overstocking the bullpen has done the Halos little good so far.
Oct 3, 2014, 8:20 PM EDT
Herrera, who averaged 98.1 miles per hour with his fastball this season, has a 2.56 ERA in 215 career innings.
Oct 3, 2014, 1:33 PM EDT
How do the Royals keep doing this? After watching their Game 1 win in the ALDS, Joe Posnanski still isn’t sure.
Oct 1, 2014, 1:53 PM EDT
The Royals may not have won the AL Wild Card if not for the confounding decisions of manager Ned Yost.
Oct 1, 2014, 2:02 AM EDT
Yost’s controversial call fails to doom Royals after all.
Sep 29, 2014, 12:40 PM EDT
Trout vs. Martinez? Hernandez vs. Kluber? Here are one person’s picks for MVP, Cy Young and Rookie of the Year.
Sep 29, 2014, 8:59 AM EDT
Let’s meet our ten playoff teams and assess their strengths, weaknesses and overall outlook.
Sep 27, 2014, 10:09 AM EDT
Every team with a long run of losing has stories, of course. Every team with a long run of losing has believers too, who refuse to stop caring even when there seems nothing left to care about.
- Nationals place Stephen Strasburg on the 15-day disabled list with neck tightness 1
- Jerry Dior, designer of MLB’s iconic logo, has passed away 8
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 21
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 112
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 16
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 2
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 5
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 77
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base (112)
- The Big Unit: Wide Angle Watcher (90)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (89)
- Chipper Jones will fight you if you insult his “girl” (84)
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit (77)