Sep 16, 2014, 8:23 AM EST
I have to imagine that spending seven-plus months in close quarters with Yasiel Puig can get on one’s nerves.
Sep 14, 2014, 12:44 PM EST
Yasmani Tomas, 23, could be the next Cuban defector to hit it big — record-breakingly big — on Major League Baseball’s free agent market. Via Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe …
Sep 14, 2014, 12:20 AM EST
The Dodgers scored two touchdowns with the ensuing extra points, and kicked a field goal against the Giants on Saturday night. It was a bloodbath.
Sep 11, 2014, 9:02 AM EST
Don Mattingly says he has no better options. The press is not so sure.
Sep 10, 2014, 8:53 PM EST
Yasiel Puig’s issues with tardiness are well-chronicled on this website and he showed up late to Dodger Stadium again on Wednesday. But there was a good reason for that …
Sep 10, 2014, 12:30 PM EST
Would you rather play the slumping superstar or a guy who hasn’t shown a thing all year?
Sep 9, 2014, 9:16 AM EST
We feel the same way, Clayton.
Sep 9, 2014, 7:57 AM EST
The first professional baseball team began play in the spring of 1869. People began lamenting its demise approximately fifteen minutes later. Here is why they are wrong.
Sep 3, 2014, 10:30 AM EST
It’d be a fun nation, but probably a tad dangerous.
Sep 2, 2014, 9:45 PM EST
Dodgers outfielder Yasiel Puig is batting just .210/.295/.240 since the beginning of August and newly-promoted prospect Joc Pederson is starting over him on Tuesday night against the Nationals. Which gives you some context for this string of tweets from Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times …
Aug 30, 2014, 5:41 PM EST
Puig has really scuffled this month, hitting .218/.306/.241 with two extra-base hits (both doubles) over 24 games.
Aug 25, 2014, 10:33 AM EST
Harper just test-drives bats. Which makes a lot of sense, actually.
Aug 24, 2014, 6:55 PM EST
The Mets turned a rare 5-4-3-2 triple play against the Dodgers in Sunday afternoon’s game.
Aug 22, 2014, 11:01 AM EST
The Red Sox paid a lot of money to get this guy. Expect him in the Sox’ outfield early next season.
Aug 21, 2014, 8:59 PM EST
Castillo could reportedly make his decision this weekend.
Aug 21, 2014, 2:04 PM EST
It’s better than no baseball in November, right?
Aug 19, 2014, 9:46 AM EST
Baseball used to be fun, darn it.
Aug 18, 2014, 7:16 PM EST
28 teams reportedly attended a showcase for Cuban free agent Rusney Castillo late last month.
Aug 15, 2014, 7:05 AM EST
Striking out 14 guys and/or scoring seven runs: strongly correlated with winning games.
Aug 14, 2014, 2:28 PM EST
Why did Don Mattingly spend two months playing Andre Ethier in center field and Yasiel Puig in right field?
Aug 13, 2014, 8:18 AM EST
Apparently it’s not just immature young players who need to learn to respect the game who have a lead foot.
Aug 9, 2014, 10:05 AM EST
Crazy things tend to happen when Yasiel Puig is around. Here’s the latest example.
Aug 7, 2014, 6:53 AM EST
Joe Kelly gave his old mates fits. Well, maybe he gave them fits before too. Maybe they weren’t his mates. Maybe there were long-simmering disputes between him and the Cardinals about politics and religion and things. We can’t know!
Aug 5, 2014, 12:02 PM EST
Kershaw? Puig? Stanton?
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 72
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 85
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 37
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 14
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (148)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)