Jan 11, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
In November, Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports reported that the Blue Jays were planning to move Jeremy Jeffress from the bullpen into the starting rotation. Two months later, Passan reports that the Jays are abandoning that idea, preferring to continue using Jeffress as a reliever.
Jeffress, now 26 years old, was drafted by the Brewers 16th overall in the first round of the 2006 draft. The Brewers initially used him as a starter but had him work as a reliever in a limited amount of playing time in 2010. After the 2010 season, the Brewers traded him to the Royals in the Zack Greinke deal. In 2011, the Royals had him make 11 starts between Double-A Northwest Arkansas and Triple-A Omaha, as well as 14 relief appearances. Last November, the Blue Jays bought him from the Royals in a cash transaction.
In 27 1/3 innings as a reliever with Triple-A Buffalo last season, Jeffress posted a 1.65 ERA with 28 strikeouts and 13 walks. In a cup of coffee with the Jays as a September call-up, he did not allow a run in nine innings, striking out 11 and walking three. Clearly, there is still a lot of potential left in his arm.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 0
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 0
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 49
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 87
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (87)