Jan 16, 2014, 6:41 PM EDT
FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal reports that the Phillies are among the teams who are talking to Overbay about a minor league deal. The 37-year-old has surely been holding out hope for a major league deal until now, but that might be the best he can do at this point of the winter.
Overbay had his moments with the Yankees last season while Mark Teixeira was sidelined due to a wrist injury, slugging 14 home runs in 142 games. However, he posted a meager .516 OPS in 125 plate appearances against southpaws and will likely never get that much playing time again. However, he could surely hang on for another year or two as a backup first baseman and left-handed bench bat.
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 6
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 30
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 10
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 29
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 19
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 13
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 42
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (190)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)