Jan 16, 2014, 6:41 PM EDT
FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal reports that the Phillies are among the teams who are talking to Overbay about a minor league deal. The 37-year-old has surely been holding out hope for a major league deal until now, but that might be the best he can do at this point of the winter.
Overbay had his moments with the Yankees last season while Mark Teixeira was sidelined due to a wrist injury, slugging 14 home runs in 142 games. However, he posted a meager .516 OPS in 125 plate appearances against southpaws and will likely never get that much playing time again. However, he could surely hang on for another year or two as a backup first baseman and left-handed bench bat.
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 0
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 10
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 19
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)