Jan 16, 2014, 6:41 PM EDT
FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal reports that the Phillies are among the teams who are talking to Overbay about a minor league deal. The 37-year-old has surely been holding out hope for a major league deal until now, but that might be the best he can do at this point of the winter.
Overbay had his moments with the Yankees last season while Mark Teixeira was sidelined due to a wrist injury, slugging 14 home runs in 142 games. However, he posted a meager .516 OPS in 125 plate appearances against southpaws and will likely never get that much playing time again. However, he could surely hang on for another year or two as a backup first baseman and left-handed bench bat.
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 0
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 58
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)