Jan 16, 2014, 6:41 PM EDT
FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal reports that the Phillies are among the teams who are talking to Overbay about a minor league deal. The 37-year-old has surely been holding out hope for a major league deal until now, but that might be the best he can do at this point of the winter.
Overbay had his moments with the Yankees last season while Mark Teixeira was sidelined due to a wrist injury, slugging 14 home runs in 142 games. However, he posted a meager .516 OPS in 125 plate appearances against southpaws and will likely never get that much playing time again. However, he could surely hang on for another year or two as a backup first baseman and left-handed bench bat.
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 25
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 87
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (87)