Jan 17, 2014, 2:28 PM EDT
On “60 Minutes” last Sunday Rob Manfred claimed that a large payment from Alex Rodriguez to Tony Bosch’s attorney — $49,901.51 — was intended as a payoff for Bosch’s silence. When asked point blank if he thought the payment was a bribe, Rob Manfred said he did.
But go read Steve Fishman’s latest at New York Magazine. He provides pretty compelling evidence that it was nothing of the sort. Rather, it was a misdirected payment intended for A-Rod’s lawyers. Indeed, A-Rod had just been billed that exact amount by his legal team. It was misdirected to Bosch’s attorney — with whom A-Rod had been dealing with previously — and when the mistake was discovered it was promptly returned. Despite this, MLB stands by its contention that it was a bribe.
At this point this is technically academic. The suspension has been leveled and the arbitrator didn’t cite that as evidence of A-Rod’s obstruction, suggesting he didn’t buy MLB’s claim either. But it certainly stands as evidence that MLB was willing to make every possible negative inference available to it regarding Rodriguez, even if the inference wasn’t plausible. And, of course, it was a pile of such inferences that motivated MLB to suspend A-Rod for 211 games in the first place.
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 77
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 26
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 24
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 131
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” 90
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 76
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (198)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (131)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)