Jan 20, 2014, 6:29 PM EDT
According to the Associated Press, Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter had his first on-field workout today since his injury-plagued 2013 season. After hitting off a tee in a batting cage and fielding 108 grounders at the Yankees minor league complex in Tampa, Florida, he told reporters that his left ankle is no longer an issue.
Jeter, who turns 40 in June, was limited to 17 games last year after breaking an ankle during the 2012 playoffs.
“I don’t think about it, and that’s a good thing,” Jeter said.
Jeter broke his left ankle Oct. 13, 2012 during the AL championship series opener against Detroit. He was limited to five games and 11 at-bats during spring training last year, stayed behind in Florida when the team broke camp for rehabilitation and broke the ankle again in April during rehabilitation.
“It’s good to have a normal offseason and get some work in,” Jeter said. “Everything is normal now.”
It’s a promising early report, but Jeter remains a major question mark going into his age-40 season. Re-signed to a one-year, $12 million deal over the winter, it’s very possible that 2014 could be the final season of his career. Even if Jeter is able to stay healthy, the Yankees figure to give him plenty of time out of the DH spot to stay fresh. The glove-first Brendan Ryan was brought back this winter as insurance policy at shortstop.
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 1
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 36
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 26
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 60
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)