Jan 23, 2014, 7:17 PM EDT
With questions all over their infield, many have speculated that free agent Stephen Drew could be a good fit for the Yankees. Now that the Yankees have blown past the $189 million threshold with the Masahiro Tanaka signing, CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman hears that they are considering the possibility:
There has been a thought the Yankees might be willing to keep spending after landing star Japanese free agent pitcher Masahiro Tanaka. But while there doesn’t seem to be a push for another top starter or reliever, Drew is one free agent the Yankees are at least weighing, according to people familiar with their thinking.
The Yankees have spent $470 million already this winter, but there doesn’t appear to be a precise limit now that the luxury tax threshhold has already been surpassed — and that’s very likely especially true when it comes to Red Sox players. Although the Yankees apparently aren’t quite a bottomless pit of cash, a possible run at Drew “depends on the price” according to a person familiar with their thinking.
Drew has exclusively played shortstop in the majors, but he would likely play second base if Derek Jeter is healthy. That’s far from a guarantee, so he wouldn’t be bad insurance to have around. The Yankees brought back Brendan Ryan this offseason, but he obviously provides very little with the bat. As of now, the Yankees are counting on Brian Roberts to play second base and Kelly Johnson to play third base.
The market for Drew has been rather quiet this winter, partially because he’s attached to draft pick compensation, but also because there aren’t many teams in the market for shortstops. The door isn’t closed for a return to the Red Sox and the Mets are still lurking in the background, but Heyman speculates that Drew could be a fit with teams like the Blue Jays and A’s if he’s willing to play second base.
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 22
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 15
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 78
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 53
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (280)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)