Jan 23, 2014, 7:17 PM EDT
With questions all over their infield, many have speculated that free agent Stephen Drew could be a good fit for the Yankees. Now that the Yankees have blown past the $189 million threshold with the Masahiro Tanaka signing, CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman hears that they are considering the possibility:
There has been a thought the Yankees might be willing to keep spending after landing star Japanese free agent pitcher Masahiro Tanaka. But while there doesn’t seem to be a push for another top starter or reliever, Drew is one free agent the Yankees are at least weighing, according to people familiar with their thinking.
The Yankees have spent $470 million already this winter, but there doesn’t appear to be a precise limit now that the luxury tax threshhold has already been surpassed — and that’s very likely especially true when it comes to Red Sox players. Although the Yankees apparently aren’t quite a bottomless pit of cash, a possible run at Drew “depends on the price” according to a person familiar with their thinking.
Drew has exclusively played shortstop in the majors, but he would likely play second base if Derek Jeter is healthy. That’s far from a guarantee, so he wouldn’t be bad insurance to have around. The Yankees brought back Brendan Ryan this offseason, but he obviously provides very little with the bat. As of now, the Yankees are counting on Brian Roberts to play second base and Kelly Johnson to play third base.
The market for Drew has been rather quiet this winter, partially because he’s attached to draft pick compensation, but also because there aren’t many teams in the market for shortstops. The door isn’t closed for a return to the Red Sox and the Mets are still lurking in the background, but Heyman speculates that Drew could be a fit with teams like the Blue Jays and A’s if he’s willing to play second base.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 9
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 10
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 20
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 39
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)