Mar 3, 2014, 10:32 PM EDT
Zack Greinke left his spring training debut last Thursday due to a strained right calf and Dodgers manager Don Mattingly told Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times today that he’s unlikely to be ready for the team’s two-game opening series against the Diamondbacks in Australia from March 22-23.
Greinke played catch today, but it’s not clear when he’ll be ready to get back on a mound. Realistically, there just isn’t enough time for him to get stretched out to 90 pitches in time to make the trip.
Of course, Greinke wasn’t all that excited about pitching in Australia in the first place, so it shouldn’t be a big deal as long assuming he’s ready to go at the end of March or close to it. It still looks like he has a chance to do that.
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 1
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 8
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 34
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 176
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 74
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 37
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (176)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)