Mar 3, 2014, 10:32 PM EDT
Zack Greinke left his spring training debut last Thursday due to a strained right calf and Dodgers manager Don Mattingly told Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times today that he’s unlikely to be ready for the team’s two-game opening series against the Diamondbacks in Australia from March 22-23.
Greinke played catch today, but it’s not clear when he’ll be ready to get back on a mound. Realistically, there just isn’t enough time for him to get stretched out to 90 pitches in time to make the trip.
Of course, Greinke wasn’t all that excited about pitching in Australia in the first place, so it shouldn’t be a big deal as long assuming he’s ready to go at the end of March or close to it. It still looks like he has a chance to do that.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 30
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 56
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)