Mar 3, 2014, 10:32 PM EDT
Zack Greinke left his spring training debut last Thursday due to a strained right calf and Dodgers manager Don Mattingly told Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times today that he’s unlikely to be ready for the team’s two-game opening series against the Diamondbacks in Australia from March 22-23.
Greinke played catch today, but it’s not clear when he’ll be ready to get back on a mound. Realistically, there just isn’t enough time for him to get stretched out to 90 pitches in time to make the trip.
Of course, Greinke wasn’t all that excited about pitching in Australia in the first place, so it shouldn’t be a big deal as long assuming he’s ready to go at the end of March or close to it. It still looks like he has a chance to do that.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 67
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 58
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 51
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 19
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11