Mar 3, 2014, 10:32 PM EDT
Zack Greinke left his spring training debut last Thursday due to a strained right calf and Dodgers manager Don Mattingly told Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times today that he’s unlikely to be ready for the team’s two-game opening series against the Diamondbacks in Australia from March 22-23.
Greinke played catch today, but it’s not clear when he’ll be ready to get back on a mound. Realistically, there just isn’t enough time for him to get stretched out to 90 pitches in time to make the trip.
Of course, Greinke wasn’t all that excited about pitching in Australia in the first place, so it shouldn’t be a big deal as long assuming he’s ready to go at the end of March or close to it. It still looks like he has a chance to do that.
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 0
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 43
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 87
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (87)