Mar 5, 2014, 6:12 PM EDT
Zack Greinke has already been ruled out for the Dodgers’ season-opening series in Sydney, Australia (March 22-23) due to a mild right calf strain that he suffered on the second-to-last day of February.
But the right-hander could be ready to rock for the club’s first game back in the United States.
According to MLB.com’s Ken Gurnick, Greinke threw off a mound Wednesday afternoon in Dodgers camp for the first time since leaving his Cactus League debut with that strained calf. Greinke is scheduled to throw off a mound again on Thursday and could return to the Dodgers’ spring rotation next week.
Greinke, who made it known last month that he was not excited for the Dodgers’ Australian trip, will presumably be a candidate to pitch March 30 in San Diego. That’s the Padres’ regular-season opener.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (76)