Mar 11, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
Say what you want about Ryan Braun but now, as opposed to in the past, he is realistic. He talks to Bob Nightengale of USA Today about what it’ll be like to be Public Enemy Number One when he goes on the road this year:
“I’m sure it will be a bit adventuresome at times this year, but if anything, it’s probably better now. Normally, you go to Philly and Chicago, and they’re talking about your mom, your sister, your girlfriend, whatever. So, now, it will be just about me.”
I guess that’s the best lemonade one can make out of the lemons he willingly sucked on. And the ego is pretty remarkable too:
“If I perform like I’ve always done, I’ll be one of the best players in this game. I don’t need any added motivation of drama at work.
“I’ll just let my work speak for itself, as every artist should.”
Artist. Oh man.
It’s interesting to watch Braun V.2. He’s taking a tack we’ve not seen much of with people who have stepped in it big time in the past. It’s certainly not a full heel-turn (which would be AWESOME) because he has played the contrition game at home with Brewers fans. But the idea that he legitimately doesn’t seem to care about what people outside of Milwaukee will say and think about him — and that, unlike any other scandal-laden player, he isn’t playing humble — is kind of fun for our entertainment purposes.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 238
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 141
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (250)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (156)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)