Mar 11, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
Say what you want about Ryan Braun but now, as opposed to in the past, he is realistic. He talks to Bob Nightengale of USA Today about what it’ll be like to be Public Enemy Number One when he goes on the road this year:
“I’m sure it will be a bit adventuresome at times this year, but if anything, it’s probably better now. Normally, you go to Philly and Chicago, and they’re talking about your mom, your sister, your girlfriend, whatever. So, now, it will be just about me.”
I guess that’s the best lemonade one can make out of the lemons he willingly sucked on. And the ego is pretty remarkable too:
“If I perform like I’ve always done, I’ll be one of the best players in this game. I don’t need any added motivation of drama at work.
“I’ll just let my work speak for itself, as every artist should.”
Artist. Oh man.
It’s interesting to watch Braun V.2. He’s taking a tack we’ve not seen much of with people who have stepped in it big time in the past. It’s certainly not a full heel-turn (which would be AWESOME) because he has played the contrition game at home with Brewers fans. But the idea that he legitimately doesn’t seem to care about what people outside of Milwaukee will say and think about him — and that, unlike any other scandal-laden player, he isn’t playing humble — is kind of fun for our entertainment purposes.
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 6
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 9
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 18
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)