Mar 11, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
Say what you want about Ryan Braun but now, as opposed to in the past, he is realistic. He talks to Bob Nightengale of USA Today about what it’ll be like to be Public Enemy Number One when he goes on the road this year:
“I’m sure it will be a bit adventuresome at times this year, but if anything, it’s probably better now. Normally, you go to Philly and Chicago, and they’re talking about your mom, your sister, your girlfriend, whatever. So, now, it will be just about me.”
I guess that’s the best lemonade one can make out of the lemons he willingly sucked on. And the ego is pretty remarkable too:
“If I perform like I’ve always done, I’ll be one of the best players in this game. I don’t need any added motivation of drama at work.
“I’ll just let my work speak for itself, as every artist should.”
Artist. Oh man.
It’s interesting to watch Braun V.2. He’s taking a tack we’ve not seen much of with people who have stepped in it big time in the past. It’s certainly not a full heel-turn (which would be AWESOME) because he has played the contrition game at home with Brewers fans. But the idea that he legitimately doesn’t seem to care about what people outside of Milwaukee will say and think about him — and that, unlike any other scandal-laden player, he isn’t playing humble — is kind of fun for our entertainment purposes.
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 28
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 72
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 64
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)