Mar 12, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT
Giants second baseman Marco Scutaro was able to take batting practice on the field Wednesday in camp, but it was his first time doing so this spring and he remains questionable for the beginning of the 2014 regular season because of back problems that have become a chronic source of discomfort.
Scutaro told Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com that he “played through worse last year,” but he has yet to appear in a Cactus League game and there’s been no indication that his debut will happen soon.
Scutaro, 38, signed a three-year, $20 million contract with San Francisco in December 2012 — about a month after helping the Giants to a World Series title. He will hobble his way into the second year of that deal.
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game, as they’re announced… 1
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 102
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 9
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (102)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)