Mar 12, 2014, 7:38 PM EDT
Freddy Galvis started at shortstop over Jimmy Rollins in Wednesday’s Grapefruit League game at the Orioles’ spring training complex in Sarasota, Florida and Galvis will be getting the start again in Thursday’s home game versus the Yankees.
Rollins is considered to be fully healthy and the Phillies typically play all of their projected starters in spring home games, so reporters asked manager Ryne Sandberg to explain the peculiar absences.
Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com has the story:
Sandberg likes competition within a team. Given that, he was asked whether Galvis could be creeping up on Rollins, the Phillies starter at shortstop for 13 seasons.
“Freddy’s a guy that will get playing time at various positions,” Sandberg said. “He’s a guy that I like in the lineup. I felt good about what he brings to the table. The biggest thing I like is his energy and his positive influence, his positive influence on everyone around him.”
Sandberg was asked what he would say about Rollins in that regard.
“No comment,” the manager said.
It was certainly an interesting response.
Stay tuned Thursday to see where this goes.
Rollins has been criticized in the past for a lack of hustle, and former Phillies manager Charlie Manuel even benched him at one point. Now it appears that Sandberg is trying to send an early message. But does he really want his 35-year-old shortstop (who has a history of leg injuries) going all-out in mid-March?
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 22
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 2
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 39
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 78
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)