Mar 12, 2014, 8:41 PM EDT
Greinke allowed three earned runs on six hits in just two innings against a Diamondbacks split-squad, but his calf survived the outing and he can now begin to work on building his pitch count up to where it needs to be for the opening of the 2014 regular season.
Greinke has already been ruled out of the Dodgers’ two-game series against the Diamondbacks in Australia (March 22-23), but he should be able to start their first game back in the United States on March 30 in San Diego.
“Everybody had to get ready faster for Australia,” Greinke told MLB.com’s Ken Gurnick on Wednesday. “I have to get ready for the American games. I’ve just got to get ready as fast as I can without a setback.”
The 30-year-old right-hander posted an excellent 2.63 ERA and 1.11 WHIP in 177 2/3 innings last season.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)