Mar 21, 2014, 6:35 PM EDT
Phillies infielder Freddy Galvis had an abscess removed from his left knee on Wednesday. After the procedure, doctors found a staph infection, but that wasn’t the worst news. CSN Philly’s Jim Salisbury reports that Galvis has come down with Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, more commonly known as MRSA. Simply put, Galvis has an antibiotic-resistant infection.
Galvis will be out indefinitely. GM Ruben Amaro wouldn’t offer a timetable for his return.
“Clearly, his timeframe would be much longer if it’s MRSA,” Amaro said before Galvis’ diagnosis. “I’m not really sure what the timetable would be if it’s just a staph infection.
“But right now, we’re more concerned about his overall health than anything else. We’ll find out a little more about it when they do some more studies today. He’s going to stay in the hospital. He’s doing an IV antibiotic and also some oral antibiotics. Hopefully after these next couple days it’s just oral antibiotics. We’ll see.”
The Tampa Bay Buccaneers of the NFL dealt with a MRSA outbreak in October. Locker rooms and clubhouses are particularly prone to MRSA outbreaks.
Galvis has become a favorite of manager Ryne Sandberg amid the Jimmy Rollins controversy. He was all but assured a bench spot on the 25-man roster. His absence means that non-roster invitees such as Reid Brignac and Ronny Cedeno have a very real chance to join the team when they break camp.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 58
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 74
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 80
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 66
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)