Mar 25, 2014, 11:34 PM EST
PHOENIX – Marco Scutaro underwent a diagnostic nerve block procedure on Tuesday – likely a final needle in the coffin in his bid to play on opening day.
Scutaro has played just two innings this spring in the Cactus League because of recurring back and hip discomfort that first began bothering him around the middle of the 2013 season. The Giants are going to update his status on Wednesday morning, likely by announcing a season-opening 15-day disabled list stint.
Joaquin Arias, a .272/.302/.367 career hitter in 327 major league games, is expected to fill in at second base in the early going for the Giants. Ehire Adrianza and Brandon Hicks are also options at the keystone.
Scutaro, 38, is entering the second year of a three-year, $20 million contract signed in December 2012.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 4
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 291
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (291)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)