Mar 25, 2014, 9:17 PM EDT
Ryan Divish of the Seattle Times explains the odd situation:
After it seemed as Randy Wolf made the opening day starting rotation – which he apparently did, we learned that Wolf asked to be released from his contract and the Mariners granted his release.
So what happened?’
Well, the Mariners told Wolf on Tuesday that he had made the team and would be in the starting rotation. But in the midst of that, they slipped in that they wanted him to sign 45-day advanced-consent relief form.
Wolf would not sign the form, telling reporters on Tuesday evening, “I was principally objected to that simply because we negotiated in good faith in February on a team friendly contract, if I were to make the team. I felt like I came in amazing shape, I pitched great and I earned a spot on the team. They told me I earned the spot on team. But to me, that advanced consent thing is kind of renegotiating a contract so I told them I wouldn’t sign in and I disagreed with it.”
Wolf posted a 4.26 ERA and 1.316 WHIP in 19 Cactus League innings this spring.
The 37-year-old left-hander should be able to latch on with a new team quickly.
Seattle will presumably fill out its rotation with Blake Beaven and Roenis Elias.
Editor’s Note: Hardball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $100,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Opening Day’s games (March 31). It’s $25 to join and first prize is $15,000. Starts at 1:05pm ET on Opening Day. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 6
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 30
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 10
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 29
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 19
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 13
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 42
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (190)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)