Mar 25, 2014, 12:16 PM EDT
Yu Darvish will not start on Opening Day for the Rangers, as the right-hander has been scratched from his Game 1 assignment due to a neck injury.
Darvish woke up one morning with a stiff neck last week and had to miss his spring training start Friday. Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star Telegram reports that Darvish will be examined later this week by a neck and back specialist and as of now at least the Rangers are still hoping that he can avoid the disabled list.
If he does need a DL stint Darvish would be joining injured rotation-mates Matt Harrison and Derek Holland on the shelf, which unfortunately for the Rangers is extremely crowded with their pitchers and position players. They’re not even sure who’ll make the Opening Day start.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 68
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 7
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (86)