Mar 25, 2014, 12:16 PM EDT
Yu Darvish will not start on Opening Day for the Rangers, as the right-hander has been scratched from his Game 1 assignment due to a neck injury.
Darvish woke up one morning with a stiff neck last week and had to miss his spring training start Friday. Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star Telegram reports that Darvish will be examined later this week by a neck and back specialist and as of now at least the Rangers are still hoping that he can avoid the disabled list.
If he does need a DL stint Darvish would be joining injured rotation-mates Matt Harrison and Derek Holland on the shelf, which unfortunately for the Rangers is extremely crowded with their pitchers and position players. They’re not even sure who’ll make the Opening Day start.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 0
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 82
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 15
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 2
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 5
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 69
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 43
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 20
- The Big Unit: Wide Angle Watcher (90)
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base (90)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (89)
- Chipper Jones will fight you if you insult his “girl” (83)
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. (76)