Mar 26, 2014, 1:15 AM EDT
Jameis Winston, Florida’s State’s Heisman Trophy winning quarterback and reliever on the baseball team, was involved in a benches-clearing brawl in Tuesday night’s game against Florida.
The fight started after Florida’s State’s D.J. Stewart tried to barrel over Florida pitcher Danny Young while running down the first base line. Young was in the line trying to grab Stewart’s squibber and Stewart knocked him over, jarring the ball loose. At that point, Florida first baseman Zack Powers got in Stewart’s face and was shoved in return, which brought everyone out on to the field.
The fight that took place afterwards lasted only a minute and involved a lot more shoving and grabbing than any punching. Winston was caught right in the middle of it, but it’s unclear if he threw any punches.
Chad Brinker captured the incident in a Youtube video:
And jaxdotcom got a good snap of Winston in the middle of the scrum:
— jaxdotcom (@jaxdotcom) March 26, 2014
The Gators went on to win the game over the top-ranked Seminoles, 4-1.
Winston has made eight relief appearances this season, allowing one run and striking out 13 in 13 innings. He’s also gone 4-for-19 with a double and two RBI in sporadic outfield duty.
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 11
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 11
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 34
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 61
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)